FC: More on Reason's Cathy Young column on encryption, wiretapping

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 20:45:03 PDT

    Cathy Young's column on Reason magazine's website
    (http://www.reason.com/cy/cy092401.html) is poorly conceived and is not the
    product of careful thinking. For Young to dismiss concerns about broader
    online (and offline) eavesdropping powers as "no different" from the
    current state of affairs is misleading. Saying encryption is so "scary" it
    should be regulated does a disservice to those who have spent many
    thousands of hours pointing out the constitutional, technological, and
    economic problems associated with such a proposal. Many of those analyses
    have appeared in Reason.

    This is not meant to be a personal attack. Young has a history of writing
    thoughtful, provocative, and usually entirely correct articles in other
    areas (http://www.reason.com/opeds/young.html). I'm a fan of her writings
    -- but, alas, it seems that her usual acumen does not extend to this topic.
    I hope that libertarians -- especially prominent ones -- would think twice,
    and thrice, before endorsing radically expanded surveillance of Americans.
    This is a precarious time. As one left-leaning activist wrote to me after
    seeing Young's article: "Your libbie buddies need to get their act
    together. This is when stuff get serious."

    -Declan