FC: USACM letter to Sen. Hollings criticizing draft SSSCA bill

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 18:37:45 PDT

    [I've attached the letter below. ACM's website may be redesigned someday,
    but Politech archives should, I hope, be permanent. --DBM]

    Politech archive on the SSSCA:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=sssca

    *********

    Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:09:44 -0700
    From: Barbara Simons <simonsat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: a USACM letter on some of the problems with the SSSCA

    Hi, Declan.  USACM (the US public policy committee of
    ACM) recently sent a letter to Sen. Hollings expressing
    our great concern with the provisions of Hollings' proposed
    Security Systems Standards and Certification Act (SSSCA).
    The letter is posted at
    http://www.acm.org/usacm/SSSCA-letter.html

    We are hoping that other groups that share our concerns
    about the SSSCA will also write to Hollings and other
    policy makers as soon as possible.

    Regards,
    Barbara

    *********

    September 26, 2001
    The Honorable Ernest F. Hollings
    Chairman
    Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
    SR-254 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C.  20510
    Dear Chairman Hollings:
    We recently learned that you intend to introduce legislation to require
    computer and electronics manufacturers to include digital watermark technology
    or other copyright-protection technologies in the production of certain
    products and multi-use devices.  As the Co-Chairs of the U.S. Public
    Policy Committee of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), we are
    writing to express our deep concern regarding the potential legislative
    proposal known as the Security Systems Standards and Certification Act
    (SSSCA).
    As Congress considers legislation with respect to the use of copyrighted
    works on the Internet and in other digital and electronic contexts, we
    urge you to recognize that there are many legitimate uses of technology
    that would be impaired by additional copyright-protection measures.
    Enacting additional copyright-protections beyond those already provided
    by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is unwarranted.  Already,
    we have seen an unintended chilling effect on computer security research
    by the
    DMCA. Any law along the lines of the SSSCA might well have more far-reaching
    and damaging effects, particularly as our nation attempts to enhance the
    security of our infrastructure and prevent acts of terrorism.
    We would ask that you carefully consider the issues of cost, liability,
    and government interference in technology standards-setting that would
    be imposed by this legislation. We can think of many objections to the
    legislation, based on our reading of the draft bill.
    Here is a small sampling:
    Colleges, universities and trade schools throughout the U.S. would no longer
    be able to teach advanced computer science and computer engineering.
    The acts of writing basic operating system software or assembling simple
    computer
    systems in classes or as assignments would be against the proposed law.
    Research in computer security and protection would be further curtailed,as
    any such research would be required to be done on (and not interfere with)
    whatever technology is imposed by this law.  However, malicious actors
    do not need to be so concerned. This has significant national security
    implications.
    Researchers and hobbyists seeking new uses for innovative technology might
    well find their experimentation and prototypes to be criminal under this
    law.
    Devices as disparate as electronic cameras, wrist watches, electric pianos,
    televisions, ATM machines, cell phones, home security systems, and medical
    equipment (among many examples) all process and display information
    electronically.
    Under the proposed legislation, all would be required to support anti-copying
    protocols.  In most such cases, this is absurd and will raise costs
    unnecessarily. Inclusion of anti-copying technology in general purpose
    equipment -- including real-time computing devices used in traffic control,
    air flight control, medical equipment, and manufacturing -- adds to their
    complexity and potential for failure. Unexpected interactions with other
    code, and accidental activation of protection protocols cannot be ruled
    out in every case, and in many venues the potential for damage is extreme.
    Photocopy machines, telephones and VCRs are now digital in form and can
    copy information. Forcing adoption of anti-copying protocols on those
    machines will change accepted modes of use, at best, and may render them
    unusable
    for their intended purposes.
    Other countries will not have similar requirements in their laws and may
    actively fear the imposition of anti-copy technologies; this will put U.S.
    products at a competitive disadvantage with other products manufactured
    elsewhere in the world. At a time when electronics manufacturers in other
    countries are seeking an advantage over U.S. firms, this could be catastrophic
    for the U.S. electronics industry.  In addition, the draft version
    of SSSCA would have significant negative impacts on foreign technology
    imports, such as the linux operating system, in direct violation of our
    obligations as a participating member of the World Trade Organization.
    As a publisher of electronic media, ACM is acutely aware of the
    problems  with copyright protection in the modern world. However,
    as technologists, we also believe that the solution is not to be found
    in constraints and prohibitions on the technology. Rather, there needs
    to be more efforts made in enforcement of current laws, in education of
    consumers, and in deriving new models for e-commerce.  Historically,
    the entertainment and publishing industries have claimed potential ruin
    from new technologies. However, those new technologies (such as videotape)
    have actually served to increase the consumer demand and income for those
    industries once the technologies were embraced.
    In our society, we have achieved technological excellence, research
    leadership, and educational preeminence in the world through the free exchange
    of information and the freedom to innovate. Copyright was intended to support
    those goals, not restrict them for entertainment companies. The explicit
    embodiment of "fair use" provisions in the law has contributed to our many
    successes. Any further legislative action -- such as the SSSCA -- which
    focuses on constraining or outlawing technology instead of penalizing
    behavior can only serve to weaken our educational systems, impede our
    technological dominance, and interfere with our electronic security.
    Comprised of computing professionals from academia, industry, and government,
    the U.S. Public Policy Committee of the Association for Computing Machinery
    is pleased to offer our technical expertise to assist policy makers in
    the development of computing and information technology policy. We would
    appreciate the opportunity to testify before the Senate Committee on Commerce,
    Science and Transportation Committee on technology policy matters, including
    proposals to require manufactures to include copyright-protection technologies
    in products and multi-use devices.  Please contact Jeff Grove, Director
    of the ACM Public Policy Office at (202) 659-9711, if you have any
    questions or if we can be
    of assistance to your efforts.
    Sincerely,
    Barbara Simons, Ph.D.
    Eugene H. Spafford, Ph.D.
    Co-Chairs
    U.S. ACM Public Policy Committee (USACM)
    Association for Computing Machinery