FC: President Bush renews call for "new law enforcement authority"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 07:12:32 PDT

    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010929.html

    For Immediate Release
    Office of the Press Secretary
    September 29, 2001
    Radio Address of the President to the Nation

          This week I visited the headquarters at
    the FBI and the CIA.  Their agents and analysts have been on
    the case around the clock, uncovering and pursuing the
    enemy.  In the long campaign ahead, they will need our continued support,
    and every necessary tool to do their work.

          I'm asking Congress for new law
    enforcement authority, to better track the communications of
    terrorists, and to detain suspected terrorists until the moment they
    are deported.  I will also seek more funding and better technology for our
    country's intelligence community.