FC: Geek humor: American vs. British legal systems

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 22:14:29 PDT

    http://www.ntk.net/

              The American legal system is, of course, just the British
              kernel with a shorter uptime and a few clumsy security
              patches slapped in. So whenever a rogue US attempts to
              buffer-overflow some civil liberties, rest assured our
              Parliament probably dumped core on it a *long* time ago.
              This week, we thought we'd report on how to rip the new
              wave of "copy-protected" CDs. Unfortunately, the CAMPAIGN
              FOR DIGITAL RIGHTS guys reminded us that we lost that
              right back in *1988*, when Section 296 of the Copyright,
              Design, and Patents Act prophetically forbade publishing
              "information intended to enable or assist persons to
              circumvent that form of copy-protection". So much for
              fussing over the DMCA, then. Worse, just as we were planning
              to smugly report those US plans to make hacking a terrorist
              offence, we remembered: it already *is* a terrorist offence
              here, thanks to the new Prevention of Terrorism Act. And
              check it out - the Americans are putting a time-limit on
              *their* terrorist legislation, just like we did in the '70s!
    http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_21.htm#mdiv296
                         - we'd decode the legalise but, well, you know...
               http://www.blagged.freeserve.co.uk/ta2000/200600.htm
                              - celebrating 29 years of temporary measures
               http://uk.eurorights.org/
                                   - protest tomorrow, while you still
    can

              Meanwhile, it was the WASHINGTON POST who finally unveiled
              terrorists for the monsters they really are: fiendish
              forgers and warez doods. Roslyn Mazer unveiled a damning
              dossier that conclusively showed "trademark pirates in
              Pakistan producing T-shirts with counterfeit Nike logos
              and glorifying bin Laden" and that "eight of 10 countries
              identified by a trade group as having the highest business
              software piracy rates in the world - Pakistan, China,
              Indonesia, Ukraine, Russia, Lebanon, Qatar and Bahrain -
              have links to al-Qaeda". Circumstantial? Perhaps? Necessary
              to declare war on all IP theft? Of course. Although we still
              don't get it - who'd pay for pirated stuff anyway? And does
              bin Laden get to sue for using his image without permission
              [...]