FC: Politech photos: D30, Shenandoah, Renaissance fair, Death Valley

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 12:36:11 PDT

    [Skip to the end of this message if you're only interested in the photos.]

    If you've been wondering why you haven't received any Politech messages
    since last week, the answer is simple: D30. On Friday, my Canon EOS D30
    arrived from B&H Photo in New York City. I spent the next three days in the
    Maryland and Virginia countryside and didn't pay much attention to email.

    The D30 is Canon's first solo entry into the SLR digital camera market,
    their answer in part to Nikon's D1. Canon lent me a D30 that I took to
    Aruba (http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/aruba-highlights.html), and I fell in
    love with it at the time. Naturally this means I can use the lenses I
    bought for my analog camera such as the 70-200mm f/2.8L USM and 17-35mm
    f/2.8L USM. Alas, the D30 doesn't seem to like my 540EZ flash, which means
    I'll have to upgrade to the 550EX.

    I had waited to buy the D30 until I learned more about its
    higher-resolution brother, which Canon announced last month. That camera's
    called the EOS 1D, and has a 4.15 megapixel resolution, compared to the
    D30's 3.25 megapixels. It has a bunch of other features like
    weatherproofing and better autofocus that might come in handy -- but then
    again its list price is $6,500. (http://www.usa.canon.com/EOS-1D/)

    You can find the D30 as low as $1,600 if you don't mind grey market units
    without warranties, software, batteries, cables, and so on. I was tempted
    to do that, but if you add the cost of said software, batteries, chargers,
    and cables by buying them piecemeal, and factor in a Canon promotion, the
    cost difference shrinks to a few hundred dollars.

    Canon started the promotion last month, and it lasts until the end of the
    year: Buy a D30 from an authorized Canon dealer and get a spare battery and
    1GB IBM microdrive (about $350-$375 street price) via mail-in rebate. Also,
    the review unit Canon lent me had an unsettling problem in that it would
    sometimes take photos with just a few lines of the image at the bottom (the
    rest was blank). Perhaps it was an early prototype or maybe it was damaged
    by being shipped around to so many people, but I decided to get the
    warranty. I ended up buying the D30 for $2,500 from B&H Photo, which
    shipped it and a vertical grip (which lets you use two batteries and is a
    must for even partly-serious shooting) the same day.

    Two years ago I wrote that new camera purchasers might want to consider
    analog over digital
    (http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,33244,00.html). I stand by
    most of what I said, especially given the continued trend among digital
    camera manufacturers to focus on gadgets over utility and performance.
    That's understandable, if not laudable, because it's easier to write
    whizzy-if-not-very-useful software than to improve processing speed and
    other hardware aspects of digital cameras. I borrowed a friend's new Canon
    digital point-and-shoot recently
    (http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/G1/index.html), and found it just as
    limiting as the Nikon Coolpix 9xx line. By contrast, if you don't mind a
    fixed 35/3.5 lens, the Yashica T4 Super is a respected $150 analog camera
    that generally outperforms consumer-grade digitals in terms of image quality.

    But the D30 is an SLR, and it's designed more with performance and utility
    in mind. The user interface is excellent, and it prioritizes shooting -- so
    whenever you press the shutter button, the camera fires. It has small but
    important touches inherited from its analog predecessors, like moving the
    autofocus feature off of the shutter release button, giving full-time
    manual focus. The excellent rechargeable lithium batteries last for a full
    day's shooting with frequent use of the LCD screen set at its brightest. A
    1 GB microdrive will store 800-1000 images in high-res JPEG format (much
    less if you use RAW images, which I haven't experimented with yet).

    Head-to-head tests by a Toronto photographer show the D30 outperforms
    Provia, Fuji's excellent 35mm slide film, which I also use, at ISO 100
    (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/d30_vs_film.htm) and ISO 400
    (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/iso100-400.htm).

    The biggest downside of the camera is that because the D30's sensor is
    smaller than 35 mm film, it has an effective lens multiplier of 1.6. That
    means my 17-35 mm ultra-wide becomes a far less interesting 27-56 mm
    moderate wideangle lens. On the flip side, my 400 mm lens-with-extender
    becomes a 640 mm bird-stalker. Canon has announced a 16-35 mm that's
    designed to give the D30 and 1D a bit more space at the wide end.

    I spent Saturday afternoon at Maryland's Renaissance Festival, and you can
    see some photos here:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/renaissance-festival-oct01.html
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/renaissance-festival-jousts-oct01.html

    Sunday night I stayed in a cabin in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia,
    and explored Skyline drive -- one of my favorite places during autumn
    foliage season -- yesterday:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/shenandoah-autumn-foliage.html
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/shenandoah-river.html

    A borrowed D30 in July gave me these photos of Death Valley, which I'm
    quite pleased with:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/death-valley.html
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/death-valley-sand-dunes.html