FC: A novel way to combat terrorists: Letters of marque and reprisal

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 23:52:57 PDT

    An excerpt from Ron Paul's statement:

    http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2001/tst101501.htm
    >Letters of marque and reprisal: This constitutional tool can be used to
    >give President Bush another weapon in the war on terrorism. Congress can
    >issue letters of marque against terrorists and their property that
    >authorize the President to name private sources who can capture or kill
    >our enemies.  This method works in conjunction with our military efforts,
    >creating an incentive for people on the ground close to Bin Laden to kill
    >or capture him and his associates. [...]

    Also possibly relevant:

    http://www.house.gov/paul/press/press2001/pr101601.htm
    >Paul has been a vocal opponent of federal medical ID numbers since the
    >idea first was proposed by the Clinton administration. Accordingly, Paul
    >fought to include language in the Labor/HHS bill that prohibits federal
    >funding for the implementation of such a program.

    -Declan

    *********

    Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:00:44 -0400
    To: declanat_private
    From: Duncan Frissell <frissellat_private>
    Subject: Letters of Marque and Reprisal

    Declan,

    Ron Paul has introduced the "September 11 Marque and Reprisal Act of 2001"
    which would authorize the President to issues Letters of Marque and
    Reprisal to legalize private attacks on Bin Laden and others.

    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:H.R.3076

    A series of thrillers by fighter jock turned lawyer cover these issues in a
    fictional context.

    Balance of Power
    by James W. Huston

    The Price of Power
    by James W. Huston

    In the first two novels, a heroic Speaker of the House fights a weak
    pacifist President by issuing Letters of Marque and Reprisal under Article
    1, Section 8 of the Constitution to the carrier "Constitution" to fight
    pirates in the sea lanes of SE Asia.

    Flash Point
    by James W. Huston

    In the third novel, a JAG officer on a carrier off Israel asks Congress to
    declare war on an Islamic fundamentalist who has revived the Cult of the
    Assassins to attack Israel and the US.  Thomas Aquinas and Just War Theory
    play a big role together with other parts of Article 1, Section 8.

    Fallout
    by James W. Huston

    In his fourth novel, a private Top Gun flying school is targeted by
    terrorists who hope to learn combat flying to pull off "the worst terrorist
    attack in US history".  Published June 2001.

    I also wrote a bit on such topics in my response to Thomas Friedman's
    attacks on Silicon Valley for not having a defense and foreign
    policy.  I'll send this piece in a separate e-mail.

    DCF

    ----
    "Western Civilization didn't invent tyranny, slavery, racism, or the
    oppression of women. What it did do is eliminate those evils (to the
    extent they have been eliminated). The rest of the world should be damn
    grateful and if they're not we should return them to the ancient tyrannies
    from which we so recently rescued them. Would serve them right."