FC: Stu Baker replies to Politech post on ISPs and EFF founder

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 15:21:36 PDT

    [I thank Stu for responding with his usual clarity of purpose. A brief
    response: Friends of liberty should not be ashamed to say that important
    rights must not be abridged, period. (If we hold that is unacceptable for
    police to, for example, torture citizens, should we reevaluate that
    position in light of "new data?") As for wiretaps, there are good reasons
    to require strict judicial oversight and careful scrutiny of surveillance,
    and those reasons do not simply disappear because of the tragic Sep. 11
    attacks. The Supreme Court got it right in 1967 when saying that "few
    threats to liberty exist which are greater than those posed by the use of
    eavesdropping devices." As awful as the Sep. 11 attacks were, they do not
    mean we should simply ignore the Fourth Amendment and the rest of the U.S.
    Constitution. Now is the time to follow it most rigorously. --Declan]

    *********