FC: Microsoft's digital rights management scheme reportedly cracked

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 14:30:36 PDT

    ********

    Subject: Microsoft DRM v.2 cracked
    Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:22:22 -0500
    From: Andy Ringsmuth <andyringat_private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh" <declanat_private>

    Declan, from The Register:

    An anonymous coder named 'Beale Screamer' claims to have broken the
    Version-2 Microsoft digital rights management (DRM) scheme, and has
    produced the source code and a DOS utility to un-protect .WMA audio
    files.

    The author's zipped file contains a lengthy description of the MS DRM
    weaknesses, a philosophical tract explaining why he thinks it necessary
    to crack, the source code, and the command-line utility.

    <snip>

    Hopefully this means that we can still listen to and share music as we
    please, without someone else (Big Brother) constantly looking over our
    shoulder.

    -Andy Ringsmuth
    andyringat_private