FC: Roger Clarke on FBI wanting to cast aside civil liberties

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 08:21:15 PDT

    [I agree with the thrust of Roger's comments, but I'm not sure
    international treaties are a measure of how civilized a nation and a people
    are. Governments may formally sign conventions and realistically ignore
    them. I'd say the measure of civilization depends on respect for people,
    life, and property, on tolerance for dissenting political and religious
    views, on willingness not to reject technological advancements, on a
    commitment to defending our nation while staying true to the Constitution,
    and so on. Alas, by those measures, the U.S. is not doing so well either.
    --Declan]

    ********