FC: RIAA replies to Politech post, clarifies position on hacking PCs

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 19:22:13 PDT

    [I promised Jano that I would send out RIAA's sur-reply with no editorial
    comment prepended, and here it is. It's a response to:
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02702.html --Declan]

    **********

    From: JCabreraat_private
    Subject: Re: RIAA claims it never wanted to hack PCs, was misunderstood
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:05:26 -0400

    That's a good question. The answer to whether our proposal would permit a
    copyright holder to hack computers and delete information is: No,
    absolutely not.

    Here is why:

    First, our language would have applied only to actions that do no more than
    "impair the availability" of data, a program, or a computer. (Note that
    section 1030 refers to both the "integrity" and "availability" of data. Our
    language addressed only availability.)  Thus, if any action taken to
    protect copyright had the effect of deleting, altering or destroying data,
    a program or a computer -- even unintentionally --  that would still be
    defined as "damage" under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and the
    copyright holder would have been subject to suit.

    Second, our language would only have protected "reasonable" measures.
    Actions that caused damage to a computer would not be "reasonable."

    Finally, our language provided no immunity from criminal investigation or
    prosecution.  Thus, any actions taken by a copyright holder to protect its
    works would be at risk of criminal liability, a substantial guarantee that
    such actions would be reasonable ones.

    That all said, we recognize that a perfectly reasonable human being -- when
    shown this language without any context -- could think that it would allow
    any number of things, including hacking and what not. But in fact, that is
    not the case. Once the language is read carefully, in context as an
    amendment to an amendment to an existing statute (a very long and complex
    statute) that clearly does not allow anyone to damage a user's data or
    computer, we would hope that that same reasonable human being would agree
    that there has simply been a misunderstanding.

    **********

    [The next message is a reply from R. Polk Wagner, an assistant professor at
    the University of Pennsylvania's law school who teaches intellectual
    property law, to the above message from the RIAA. --DBM]

     >> That's a good question. The answer to whether our proposal would permit a
     >> copyright holder to hack computers and delete information is: No,
     >> absolutely not.
     >>
     >> Here is why:
     >>
     >> First, our language would have applied only to actions that do no more than
     >> "impair the availability" of data, a program, or a computer. (Note that
     >> section 1030 refers to both the "integrity" and "availability" of data. Our
     >> language addressed only availability.)  Thus, if any action taken to
     >> protect copyright had the effect of deleting, altering or destroying data,
     >> a program or a computer -- even unintentionally --  that would still be
     >> defined as "damage" under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and the
     >> copyright holder would have been subject to suit.

    Fair enough.  But he's saying that _another_ law would presumably trip them
    up, not this particular law.  It obviously raises the question about why
    they felt they should seek an exception from this new law, if the CFAA would
    stop them anyway.  I simply don't know enough about the details of the CFAA
    to understand their strategy here.  But as the Wired News article pointed
    out, something seemed to be up.

    And it doesn't change the thrust of the controversy: that the RIAA was
    seeking an exception to new causes of action relating to hacking.

     >> Second, our language would only have protected "reasonable" measures.
     >> Actions that caused damage to a computer would not be "reasonable."

    It might if the intent of the hack was reasonable, even if things went wrong
    and caused all sorts of trouble.

    Did the proposed language mean that: (1) the "intent" had to be reasonable
    (i.e., related to copyright protection) or (2) that the "techniques" had to
    be reasonable (i.e., not disproportionate) or (3) that the "end result" had
    to be reasonable (i.e., unexpected consequential damages).

     >> Finally, our language provided no immunity from criminal investigation or
     >> prosecution.  Thus, any actions taken by a copyright holder to protect its
     >> works would be at risk of criminal liability, a substantial guarantee that
     >> such actions would be reasonable ones.

    Again, this is certainly correct.  Other penalties and limitations might
    apply.  But the question remains: _why_ seek the new shield from liability?
    They've answered that for us: to preserve their existing right (in their
    view) to use technological measures (which may include hacking).

     >> That all said, we recognize that a perfectly reasonable human being -- when
     >> shown this language without any context -- could think that it would allow
     >> any number of things, including hacking and what not. But in fact, that is
     >> not the case. Once the language is read carefully, in context as an
     >> amendment to an amendment to an existing statute (a very long and complex
     >> statute) that clearly does not allow anyone to damage a user's data or
     >> computer, we would hope that that same reasonable human being would agree
     >> that there has simply been a misunderstanding.

    Sure.  Reasonable people can disagree about the meaning and intent of
    statutory language, as well as differ in their speculation about the effect
    of the text once enacted.  One person's misunderstanding is another's
    perfectly reasonable position.  That's precisely why we should be talking
    about this, and challenging the RIAA to explain it's intent.

    I don't doubt at all the veracity of the RIAA's claims here: that the
    changes to the law were likely to restrict their ability to use
    technological measures to enforce copyrights, and that their proposals were
    intended to return the law to it's prior position.

    But that's the point.

    Best,

    Polk

    --