FC: Supreme Court hears arguments Tues. morning in morphed porn case

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 07:29:11 PST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:06:48 -0500
    From: Bruce A. Taylor <BruceTaylorat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: FW: Supreme Court hears COPA case Nov. 28 and CPPA case Oct. 30

    Bruce A. Taylor
    President & Chief Counsel
    National Law Center for Children and Families (NLC)
    3819 Plaza Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030-2512
    (703) 691-4626, Fax: 703-691-4669
    cell: (703) 626-5341
    BruceTaylorat_private
    www.NationalLawCenter.org

    The Court will hear oral arguments in the two pending pornography cases on
    October 30th (computerized child porn case) and November 28th (the COPA
    case).

    October 30, Tuesday, at 10:00 AM, Ashcroft v. Free Speech Coalition, No.
    00-795 This is the challenge to the CPPA (Child Pornography Prevention Act
    of 1996) on computerized child porn.  Under new section 18 U.S.C. 2252A, it
    is an offense to knowingly produce, distribute, or possess "child
    pornography", which, as defined in section 2256, includes an images that "is
    or appears to be" a minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct.  We argue
    in our amicus brief for NLC, et al. that the image must be artificial or
    counterfeit child porn that is so realistic that it is indistinguishable
    from a photo and appears to really be a real picture of a real child (even
    if altered or completely generated by computer).  If the view can perceive
    that it is or appears to be a drawing, painting, computer creation, adult
    body-double playing a minor's role in a movie such as Lolita, etc., then the
    statute does not apply.  If you use an adult model and you disclose it, the
    statute doesn't apply.  The Act validly applies to images that look like
    real child porn and it is, therefore, narrowly tailored within
    constitutional bounds to prevent the knowing traffic in images that the
    creator, distributor, or collector know or believe to be real child porn
    images.  (Ironically, the challenge was brought by the hard-core porn
    industry's trade lobby, the Free Speech Coalition.  It's ironic to me,
    because they, like Hollywood, can't or shouldn't knowingly use minors to
    make porn or sex scenes and therefore won't violate this Act and have
    nothing to fear from it.  If they did use a minor to do his or her own nude
    scenes or sex acts in a film, then they'd violate the old, existing child
    porn statutes, 2251 and 2252.

    November 28, Wednesday.  Ashcroft v. ACLU, No. 00-1293.
    This is the challenge by ACLU and other non-pornographic Websites to the
    COPA (Child Online Protection Act of 1998), which, under new section 47
    U.S.C. 231, forbids commercial sites on the World Wide Web from knowingly
    making pornography that is legally "harmful to minors" ("obscene for
    minors") available to minors, without good faith efforts to exclude minors
    by taking credit cards or a credit card number, adult PIN number, digital
    ID, etc. The federal trial court in Philadelphia issued a preliminary
    injunction and the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the issuance of the
    pre-trial restraining order on the grounds that geographic community
    standards would be unconstitutional to impose in cyberspace, held that
    community standards for what is harmful or obscene for minors have been and
    must be geographic based, and then held that COPA was probably
    unconstitutional for having a geographic standard.  We argued in the amicus
    brief for Members of Congress that COPA was passed and intended to adopt a
    non-geographic standard, an "age" standard of what the average American
    adult would find prurient and offensive for minors, and that Congress
    provided a legislative intent in its Committee Report that avoided the very
    problem the Third Circuit refused to correct (which it could by
    authoritatively construing COPA as intended by Congress to use an "age"
    standard instead of a "district" standard) and that the Supreme Court should
    reverse the Third Circuit, render the authoritative construction of the
    federal statute that was properly and explicitly adopted by Congress, and
    uphold the potential application of the statute within constitutionally
    valid bounds and reverse the grounds for the preliminary injunction and
    remand for the lower federal courts to properly interpret and apply this new
    federal statute.

    Now for my personal comment and constructive criticism:
    The Solicitor General's office did a good job with the Government's briefs
    in these cases and we hope and trust that General Olson will present a good
    argument or direct that a good argument on statutory construction be
    submitted to the Court.  I have a lot of respect for him and the lawyers who
    worked on these briefs, so I'll expect a good fight and a tight argument.
    We don't expect to see this SG embarrass the office and insult Congress and
    the Court, like the SG did in the CDA argument in 1997, where the SG
    admitted that the CDA was vague and could be overbroad, but asked the Court
    to uphold it for the children, knowing that his admission that it was
    unconstitutional but please-let-us-have-it-anyway would force the Court to
    strike it.  The SG, obviously, should have argued good-old Common Law,
    Blackstonian, U.S. Supreme Court historically applied and mandated
    principles of statutory interpretation and narrowing construction.
    If the Government had interpreted the CDA narrowly within constitutionally
    valid parameters, as Congress explicitly explained in its Conference Report
    on the CDA (and argued in our amicus Brief for Members of Congress), and
    submitted a narrowing construction to the District Court and Supreme Court
    that would have made it constitutional, then the courts could have saved it
    and the whole CDA/COPA/CIPA battle would have been entirely different.  (It
    was worst than the X-Citement Video case, where the SG at least admitted
    that the child porn statute needed and included some element of scienter or
    guilty knowledge, but wouldn't and didn't argue or submit an authoritative
    construction to provide a knowledge element for the Court.  Good thing every
    federal circuit Court of Appeals except the 9th Cir. recognized a knowledge
    element in section 2252, despite no help from the SG, so the Court had its
    own and other court precedent to guide it in the absence of guidance from
    the parties.)
    In the CDA case, the ACLU/ALA and DOJ interpreted the Act to be so vague
    that they didn't know who had to comply and so overbroad that it reached
    protected speech.  Conversely, Congress intended and we argued that the CDA
    must be interpreted and construed so narrowly that it didn't apply to
    protected speech.
    Congress stated its intent that the CDA would apply only to pornography that
    is within the established tests for separating unprotected pornographic
    speech that is like materials legally "obscene for minors" (Congress tried
    to create a new form of "online indecency", which was unlike "broadcast
    indecency", and the new "online indecency" for the CDA would not apply to
    materials having serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value,
    for either adults or minors, and applied only to pornographic material that
    was lacking in protection for minors, like pornography that is "harmful to
    minors").  As so construed, the CDA need not have been found
    unconstitutionally vague or overbroad and the Act could then have been
    applied, as intended, within such narrow scope that it would not apply to
    protected speech.
    In my opinion, what the Solicitor General argued to the Court in Reno v.
    ACLU in 1997 was either misfeasance or malfeasance.  They were smart people,
    so it is hard to excuse it as gross ignorance of the law.  It looked like
    they intentionally "threw" the case.  It sounded like they were arguing to
    reporters in the back of the Courtroom, rather than to the Justices in front
    of them.  It was as if DOJ said "we need this bad law for the kiddies,
    please let us have it and we promise not to apply it to the good plaintiffs
    to whom it could, but shouldn't, apply".  They must have known, as all the
    rest of us did, that the Court would have to strike it down if both parties
    said it was overbroad.  They would also be expected to have known that such
    a non-legal speech, rather than a legal argument on the law of statutory
    construction, would then give the Govt. the ability to claim and have the
    press report that the AG tried to stick up for kids, but Congress passed a
    bad law and they couldn't do anything about it.  (By the way, that DOJ never
    enforced any of the other existing laws that apply to Internet, Usenet, or
    Web obscenity, either to protect children or just to punish those who
    violate existing obscenity laws, so it's not like we expected them to try to
    save and enforce the CDA, for the kids or anyone else.)
    In any event, that CDA argument was the worst show of advocacy for the
    United States that I've ever witnessed in three decades of First Amendment
    litigation.  It was embarrassing to be a lawyer in that august hall and
    watch both sides argue against the law.  The record was full of so such
    misleading and inaccurate information, that it is no wonder the Court fell
    for it, but that was the record and that was the argument.  The Court, in
    their defense, is entitled to expect that there will be opposing sides to
    contest and clarify the issues; not two sides ganging up on an Act of
    Congress and arguing the exact opposite of what it intended.
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to these arguments on CPPA and COPA.  I think
    the Court will uphold CPPA, as narrowly interpreted by Congress and narrowly
    construed by other federal courts that have upheld it.  I'm hopeful on the
    COPA case, since I would expect that the Court would construe COPA to employ
    a non-geographic standard, as Congress intended so as to avoid the problem
    identified by the lower courts, and thus send the case back down for trial
    on a proper legal standard.  The Government should win both of these, so
    we'll wish them great insight and good luck on October 30 and November 28.