FC: Bill Gates: Open source software only exists 'cuz of Microsoft

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 10:23:44 PST

    Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:43:07 -0500 (EST)
    From: Lenny Foner <fonerat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Any more spin, and I'm going to throw up
       http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134363780_microsoft08.html

       Gates also took some credit for the genesis of open-source software. He said
       Microsoft made it possible by standardizing computers: "Really, the
    reason you
       see open source there at all is because we came in and said there should
    be a
       platform that's identical with millions and millions of machines," he said.

    [Surely we don't have to point out that open-source software originated
    LOOOONNNNGGG before computers were smaller than the size of rooms,
    yes?  At any number of government and research labs and universities,
    right?  Well, maybe lots of people need to -keep- pointing this out.]