FC: USA PATRIOT opens CIA, NSA, intelligence databases to police

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 08:26:32 PST

    One relevant excerpt:
    >         The Executive Office of United States Attorneys is undertaking a
    > review of all law enforcement and intelligence databases in order to
    > identify those that should be made available to each of the districts.

    ---

    Directives from Attorney General Ashcroft's speech before EOUSA's
    Anti-Terrorism Coordinators Conference

    November 13, 2001

    MEMORANDUM TO ALL UNITED STATES ATTORNEYS

    FROM:   THE ATTORNEY GENERAL

    SUBJECT:        Cooperation with State and Local Officials in the Fight
    Against Terrorism

             The September 11 attacks demonstrate that the war on
    terrorism  must be fought and won at home as well as abroad.  To meet this
    new threat and to prevent future attacks, law enforcement officials at all
    levels of government -- federal, state, and local -- must work together,
    sharing information and resources needed both to arrest and prosecute the
    individuals responsible and to detect and destroy terrorist cells before
    they can strike again.

              On October 26, 2001, the President signed into law the USA
    PATRIOT Act of 2001.  A key feature of this anti-terrorism legislation is
    its provisions requiring increased sharing of information among law
    enforcement and national security personnel at all levels of
    government.  These measures, proposed by the President, are critical to the
    common effort to prevent and disrupt terrorist acts.  To win the war on
    terrorism, federal prosecutors and law enforcement personnel must develop
    and implement effective procedures for information-sharing and cooperation
    with their state and local counterparts.  I therefore direct you to take
    prompt action in three major areas:

             1.  Designation of Chief Information Officer.  To centralize the
    process by which information relevant to the investigation and prosecution
    of terrorists can be shared with state and local officials,  I hereby
    direct you to designate a Chief Information Officer (CIO) to participate on
    the Anti-Terrorism Task Force (ATTF) in your district.  The CIO shall
    coordinate with the relevant Law Enforcement Coordination Committee (LECC)
    to ensure that the LECC acts as a formal conduit of information with state
    and local officials, including elected officials and local law enforcement
    representatives.  The CIO need not be a new employee and may be your LECC
    coordinator if he or she already has strong ties to state and local
    officials in your district.  Where information is provided by state and
    local officials to federal officials, the CIO should make every effort to
    apprise the state and local individual or agency of any follow-up action
    prompted by the information provided.  I further direct the CIO to assist
    in making state and local officials aware of the various counter-terrorism
    training resources available through the Department of Justice.

             2.  Information Sharing Structures.  To streamline the procedures
    for information sharing between federal, state, and local officials in a
    manner tailored to the needs of each district, I hereby direct the CIO in
    your district to solicit from state and local officials suggestions on the
    best way to disseminate information in your district.  After considering
    those suggestions, the CIO, through the LECC, will establish, by December
    1, 2001, communications protocols for sharing information with state and
    local officials on the ATTF, as well as with chiefs of police and elected
    officials who may not be members of the ATTF in their district.  At a
    minimum the protocol in each district must include a system to communicate
    information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  I also urge you to consider
    including in your protocols daily or weekly conference calls with members
    of the LECC, the ATTF, and with chiefs of police and elected officials who
    may not be members of these committees.

             The protocols established pursuant to this directive will not only
    provide a mechanism for federal officials to share information with their
    state and local counterparts, but also must include procedures by which
    state and local officials can forward information to federal officials.

             In fulfilling this directive, I further direct you to use, where
    practicable,  technologies already  available and currently in use by the
    Department to facilitate information-sharing, such as the Regional
    Information Sharing System (RISS).  The RISS system comprises six regional
    intelligence centers operating in various geographic regions, including all
    50 states and the District of Columbia.  The RISS system has created
    riss.net, the only secure internet-based national network for sharing of
    criminal intelligence among federal, state, and local law enforcement
    agencies.  RISS also operates secure WATS/patch and telephone
    communications for one-on-one contact with RISS.  RISS databases can
    provide criminal intelligence information and referral contacts for
    information exchange with other member agencies.

             The Executive Office of United States Attorneys is undertaking a
    review of all law enforcement and intelligence databases in order to
    identify those that should be made available to each of the districts.

             Information must be appropriately analyzed before it can be used
    to its full potential.  The proposed budget for Fiscal Year 2003 already
    requests funding for 93 analysts .   I hereby direct you to ensure that
    these analysts have access to the most recent and reliable information
    available through coordination with the designated CIO and your LECC.  All
    analysts must use the communications structures established pursuant to
    this Directive to facilitate their efforts in investigating and preventing
    terrorist acts.  The analysts will act as a conduit of information from
    federal law enforcement and intelligence agencies to local law
    enforcement.  For example, the information gathered through the interviews
    regarding international terrorism would be processed and then disseminated
    by the analyst.

             By working closely with state and local officials to strengthen
    and streamline our procedures for information sharing and analysis, we will
    make great strides towards preventing future terrorist acts and punishing
    those responsible for the September 11 attacks.  I thank you for your
    efforts in this ongoing fight to protect freedom through law and to deliver
    to the American people freedom from fear.

    November 13, 2001

    MEMORANDUM TO THE ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL FOR THE OFFICE OF  JUSTICE
    PROGRAMS, THE DIRECTORS OF THE OFFICE OF COMMUNITY ORIENTED POLICING
    SERVICES AND THE OFFICE OF INTERGOVERNMENTAL AFFAIRS, AND ALL UNITED STATES
    ATTORNEYS

    FROM:   THE ATTORNEY GENERAL

    SUBJECT:        Training in Counter-Terrorism: Federal, State, and Local
    Coordination

             The Department is currently engaged in a multi-front effort both
    to prevent future terrorist attacks and to investigate the horrific acts of
    terror that occurred on September 11.   As we implement new tools for
    fighting terrorism in the recently enacted USA PATRIOT Act of 2001 and
    continue our investigation, we must ensure that federal, state, and local
    law enforcement are properly trained to mobilize all available resources
    and deploy all appropriate weapons to win this war.

              The need for training encompasses all issues involved in
    combating terrorism -  from gathering information to formulating the "first
    response"; from identifying valuable intelligence information to sharing
    it; from countering traditional explosives threats to responding to threats
    of biological, chemical, and other weapons of mass destruction.  Although
    our overriding goal is to prevent any further terrorist activity, we also
    must be ready at all levels to respond to any attacks in the safest and
    most efficient fashion.  Training must be made available to all who are on
    the front lines of this war, including police officers, firefighters, and
    other "first responders," as well as prosecutors and elected officials.

             I have previously directed that guidance on the implementation of
    the USA PATRIOT Act, including the sharing of information with the
    intelligence community, be incorporated into the training of all
    Anti-Terrorism Coordinators within the U.S. Attorneys' Offices.  The first
    national training session of Anti-Terrorism Coordinators will occur
    November 13-15, 2001.  This training will supplement the training already
    being conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) with its Joint
    Terrorism Task Forces.  The materials from the training session occurring
    on November 13-15 and existing FBI counter-terrorism training should be
    made more readily available to these task forces.  Where appropriate, U.S.
    Attorneys' facilities should be made available to their FBI counterparts to
    ensure that such training is more accessible to local law enforcement.

             I hereby direct that, by January 15, 2001, training similar to
    that of the Anti-Terrorism Coordinators be made available to local law
    enforcement participants in the Anti-Terrorism Task Forces either at the
    National Advocacy Training Center in Columbia, South Carolina, or through
    remote training at the 94 United States Attorneys' offices.  Each district
    should determine whether chiefs of police or other local law enforcement
    officers should also receive such training.

             As the President has made clear, the war on terror must be waged
    on all fronts, by all hands, and using every available weapon.  The federal
    government will not fight this reign of terror alone.  Every American must
    help us defend our nation against this common enemy.  Every state, every
    county, and every municipality must join together to form a common defense
    against terrorism.  I thank you for making more effective our national
    alliance against terror.