FC: President Bush says military tribunals will try civilian cases

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 06:47:22 PST

    President Bush has quietly signed an executive order allowing civilians to
    be tried by military tribunals. This may be outrageous.

    I say "may be" because the degree to which we should be outraged depends on
    the details of this not-yet-released executive order. Does the executive
    order apply only to non-U.S. citizens, as some news reports say? Perhaps it
    applies only abroad, to Al Qaeda saboteurs trying to blow up U.S. military
    bases? Does it apply solely to illegal immigrants? If it applies to people
    living in or visiting the U.S. legally, what happened to our Sixth
    Amendment right "to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury?"

    One thing that seems apparent is that the writ of Habeas Corpus, the
    so-called Great Writ and bulwark of liberty, is in danger of disappearing.
    The Constitution says "the privilege of the writ of Habeas Corpus shall not
    be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public
    safety may require it." During the Civil War, President Lincoln suspended
    the writ of Habeas Corpus and ordered that suspected political criminals be
    tried before military tribunals.

    Alas, and predictably, you won't see anything on the White House website.
    The staff there managed to place online an executive order creating a "task
    force on citizen prepardness"
    (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/11/20011109-15.html) -- but
    somehow neglected to do the same with news that's just a tad more important.

    -Declan

    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/14/national/14DETA.html
    WASHINGTON, Nov. 13 — President Bush signed an order today allowing special
    military tribunals to try foreigners charged with terrorism. A senior
    administration official said that any such trials would "not necessarily"
    be public and that the American tribunals might operate in Pakistan and
    Afghanistan.

    See also:

    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/11/13/inv.military.trials/index.html
    http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/archives/2001/nov/13/111302554.html