FC: Feds can't collect info on visitors to their sites, new law says

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 20:45:37 PST

    Text of law:
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:h.r.02590:

    ---

    Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:14:50 -0800
    From: Jim Warren <jwarrenat_private>
    Subject: restriction on federal monitoring of personal use of Internet

    WOW!  With some slippery exceptions, this Act (below) prohibits ANY federal
    funding ("in this or any other Act"!!!) from being used by "any federal
    agency" to "collect, review, or create" any "personally identifiable
    information relating to an individual's access to or use of" any federal
    agency Internet site or "any nongovernmental Internet site."

    One wonders how this will impact White House and other agencies' covert
    monitoring of which federal workers are viewing which web-pages using
    tax-funded computers.  (The "law enforcement, regulatory, or supervisory
    purposes" exception might cover things like that, but if the Sec. 639
    prohibition is to have ANY value, then those exceptions need to be more
    precisely defined than they are.)

    --jim
    Jim Warren; jwarrenat_private, technology & public policy columnist & advocate
    345 Swett Rd, Woodside CA 94062; voice/650-851-7075; fax/off due to spam-glut

    [self-inflating puffery: Playboy Foundation Hugh Hefner First-Amendment Award;
    Soc.of Prof.Journalists-Nor.Calif. James Madison Freedom-of-Information Award;
    founded InfoWorld, Dr.Dobb's Journal, and Computers, Freedom & Privacy Confs.;
    Electronic Frontier Foundation's Pioneer Award (in its first year), blah blah]

    At 03:18 PM -0500 11/20/01, "Patrice McDermott" <patricemat_private>
    posted to the State and Local Freedom of Information Issues listserv (FOI-L):
    [I cleaned up the text formatting a bit.  --jim]