FC: A Kiwi's view on FCC investigating Victoria's Secret TV show

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 08:08:08 PST

    "Free expression update: Victoria's Secret, libraries, Safeweb"

    From: Steve Withers <swithersat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: Free expression update: Victoria's Secret, libraries, Safeweb
    Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:46:22 +1300

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:31, you wrote:

     >     WASHINGTON (The Hollywood Reporter) --- ABC's airing of "The
     >     Victoria's Secret Fashion Show" is likely to cause the network
     > more than a little discomfort as the federal government has received
     > dozens of complaints that the G-string-laced show and its related
     > promotions violate broadcast indecency rules.
     >     FCC (news - web sites) commissioner Michael Copps told reporters
     >     Friday that he has received 50 e-mails from different parts of
     > the country complaining about the racy show and its promotions. One
     > of the complaints was of a more personal nature -- Copps' 27-year-old
     > daughter had a complaint about the show.
     >     "She saw it and was upset," Copps said. "She's a new mother, and
     > when her child gets (to a) TV age, he should see wholesome
     > programming." He said he was forwarding the complaints to the FCC's
     > Enforcement Bureau and asking it to investigate whether it violated
     > indecency regulations.

    This has to be a joke.

    We get Fashion TV from Paris on our cable service here in New Zealand
    and they play this stuff around the clock....along with fashion parades
    that include lots of naked male and female breasts.

    On New Zealand TV, grow-up TV programming starts after
    08:30pm....fronted by warning about violence, nudity or both.

    They figure any younger child should be in bed by 08:30.

    Did I mention the brothel ads on TV4 and TV 2 after 1am? Complete with
    film clips. Or maybe gay sex clubs would be more interesting viewing?

    The US is SO prissy!!!!

    Steve Withers

    ---