FC: Bombastic conservative demands that DOJ censor usqueers.com

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 09:42:48 PST

    The usqueers.com page in question:
    http://www.usqueers.com/commentary/die_soon.html

    Excerpt:
    >Ronald Reagan, ex-President, deserves to experience a horrible death soon,
    >and is getting what he deserves. We're listing him as wounded because the
    >way he is dying is horrible (Alzheimer's) and irreversible, even if he
    >isn't aware of it anymore, and not soon enough we will happily add him to
    >our Good Riddance! section.

    Attorney John B. Thompson, who wrote the letter to DOJ, has a fascinating
    history of, for instance, reportedly attacking CBS over what he viewed as
    threats the network's comedy show made on the life of George W. Bush:
    http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3992e0b40d02.htm

    Thompson wrote a letter to FCC complaining about Howard Stern:
    http://www.cluebot.com/articles/01/09/14/2010224.shtml
    >a special tip-of-the-hat to [Thompson] who, in the face of the death of
    >thousands of Americans, has taken time out of his busy schedule to
    >petition the FCC to censor Howard Stern, whom he terms a 'child molestor'
    >and 'pornographer'. It's nice to know some people have their priorities
    >straight.

    I'm not sure why CNSNews.com would call Thompson a "prominent First
    Amendment lawyer." He seems to be a prominent 1A lawyer in much the same
    way that Louis Freeh was a prominent privacy advocate.

    In his email below, David Burt is talking about when the ACLU's Oregon
    affiliate (not the national ACLU) filed an amicus brief arguing that a
    federal judge close the Nuremberg anti-abortion site
    (http://www.politechbot.com/p-01860.html).