FC: ICANN replies to board member's attempts to review financial info

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 14:06:02 PST

    "An ICANN board member's yearlong quest to review financial info"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02874.html

    *********

    Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 14:01:31 -0800
    To: David Farber <daveat_private>, "Declan McUllough" <declanat_private>
    From: "M. Stuart Lynn" <lynnat_private>
    Subject: Response to Karl Auerbach's note

    The postings from Karl Auerbach to your lists regarding access to records
    were forwarded to me. I thought each of you might be interested in my
    response below. Feel free to post or not, of course, as you see fit.

    Many thanks
    Stuart

    _______

    Karl is free to examine ICANN records any time he is ready to comply with
    established procedures that apply to him and any other Director -- in
    complete accordance with California law. Karl is not being singled out.
    Among other reasonable provisions, these procedures are designed to protect
    confidential records, such as personnel files. Karl wishes to set himself
    above the direct or delegated authority of the  ICANN Board of Directors,
    in declaring himself as the sole determinant of what is confidential and
    what is not. That is not his prerogative according to California law or
    ICANN bylaws.

    The procedures to which he objects were endorsed by the Audit Committee of
    the ICANN Board, to whom the Board has delegated responsibility for this
    general area. He is always welcome to take his objections to the full Board
    should he wish. So far, he has not chosen to do so.
    --

    Stuart Lynn