FC: More on U.S. Customs tracking "computer encryption" purchases

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 09:51:44 PST

    From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeksat_private>
    To: "'declanat_private'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: RE: U.S. Customs says terrorists buy "computer encryption devices"
    Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:24:27 -0800

    Ke-rist... I'm doomed if this provision is actually followed:

    "A buyer has no interest in the customer service offered with a product or
    rejects the manufacturer's offer to train employees in proper use of the
    product."

    These are the cheesy "buy four years of protection" that are little more
    than cash cow high pressure sales.  I routinely ignore them and in some
    cases, get indignant when several sales people try and "force" me to buy
    them.

    ---