FC: Symantec, McAfee backpedal furiously on espionage enabled-software

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 07:23:39 PST

    "Symantec pledges to acquiese to FBI backdoor demands"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02851.html

    "McAfee broadens denial: No contact with government of any sort"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02846.html

    There are at least two issues here: (1) Have the antivirusware makers
    contacted or been contacted by law enforcement re: Magic Lantern or a
    product with similar reported capabilites? (2) Will the antivirusware
    makers acquiese if contacted in the future? (More broadly, will security
    software makers put their customers' interests first? And if you conclude
    that you can trust them and you've guessed wrongly, being able to call them
    liars once your privacy and security are invaded may be faint consolation.)

    We've now heard contradictory reports from both Symantec and McAfee, though
    I'm inclined to believe McAfee's public, on-the-record statements.