FC: More on Symantec, McAfee, loopholes, and espionage-enabled 'ware

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 15:41:54 PST

    "Symantec, McAfee backpedal furiously on espionage enabled-software"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02914.html

    **********

    Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:21:49 -0800 (PST)
    From: Annalee Newitz <brainsploitationat_private>
    Subject: symantec's new position
    To: declanat_private

    (you can post this if you like)

    --- Declan McCullagh <declanat_private> wrote:
     > We've now heard contradictory reports from both
     > Symantec and McAfee, though
     > I'm inclined to believe McAfee's public,
     > on-the-record statements.

    Declan, I've been interviewing "spokespeople" from
    Symantec (they don't like to give out their real
    names) about this issue for the past couple of weeks.
    I finally got one to go on record saying very
    specifically that "if a Symantec customer located a
    copy of the Magic Lantern trojan horse virus and gave
    us a copy, we would be obliged to filter for it with
    our anti-virus software." In other words, their new
    public position is that they will actively block
    FBI-authored viruses. Interesting, no?

    Annalee

    =====
    Annalee Newitz