FC: U.N. meeting hears proposal for global human database, ID #s

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 10:11:55 PST

    http://www.smh.com.au/breaking/2001/12/14/FFX058CU6VC.html

       Refugees meeting hears proposal to register every human in
       GENEVA, Dec 13 AAP
       Published: Friday December 14, 7:18 AM

       Every person in the world would be fingerprinted and registered under
       a universal identification scheme to fight illegal immigration and
       people smuggling outlined at a United Nations meeting today.

       The plan was put forward by Pascal Smet, the head of Belgium's
       independent asylum review board, at a roundtable meeting with
       ministers including Australian Immigration Minister Philip Ruddock
       this afternoon.

       Mr Smet said the European Union was already considering a Europe-wide
       system, using either fingerprints or eye scanning technology, to
       identify citizens.

       But he said the plan could be extended worldwide.

       "There are no technical problems. It is only a question of will and
       investment," he said.

       "If you look to our societies, we are already registered from birth
       until death. Our governments know who we are and what we are. But one
       of the basic problems is the numbers of people in the world who are
       not registered, who do not have a set identity, and when these people
       move with real or fake passports, you cannot identify them.

       [...]