FC: Microsoft fesses up to huge security breach in Windows XP

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 09:27:34 PST

    [Translation of MS spokesman's comment, courtsey of Jon Lasser: "When
    we say Windows XP is the most secure system ever we're not saying
    you should trust it with your data." --Declan]

    ---

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10033-2001Dec20.html

       By Ariana Eunjung Cha
       Washington Post Staff Writer
       Friday, December 21, 2001; Page E01

       When reports of viruses, hackers and software flaws seem to show up in
       e-mail boxes several times a day, they become almost mundane. But the
       latest one was a doozy.

       Microsoft Corp. said its new Windows XP operating system, which it had
       touted as a "secure and private" computing experience, has an
       unprecedented flaw.

       In a security bulletin issued to customers yesterday, Microsoft said
       the "serious vulnerability" could allow hackers to commandeer all the
       computers in a neighborhood or company in a single attack. The Redmond,
       Wash., company urged customers to update their systems with a patch
       available on its Web site.

       The acknowledgment could be a blow to the ambitions of Microsoft, which
       hoped that $500 million worth of flashy advertisements promoting
       Windows XP would result in billions of dollars worth of sales that
       would revitalize the high-tech sector.

       [...]

       Microsoft spokesman Tom Laemmel said the flaw "slipped through" the
       company's testing process but that XP's security still is superior to
       that of previous Windows versions.

       "When we say Windows XP is the most secure system ever we're not saying
       it's perfect," he said.

       [...]