FC: FCC wants to yank Kevin Mitnick's radio license

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 07:03:06 PST

       US to yank Kevin Mitnick's radio license

       In a five-page order released Friday, the US Federal Communications
       Commission (FCC) claims that 38-year old convicted hacker Kevin
       Mitnick is not morally fit to be a ham radio operator.

       "Mr. Mitnick's criminal background raises a substantial and material
       question of fact as to whether he possesses the requisite character
       qualifications to be and remain a commission licensee," the FCC said.
       "Given his propensity to engage in criminal activities, particularly
       those involving fraud, we have serious reservations about Mr.
       Mitnick's ability to comply with our rules and regulations in the
       future."

       What's more, the FCC reminds us, "Mr. Mitnick's prolific and damaging
       hacking career made him the most wanted computer criminal in United
       States history."

       Mitnick was convicted of hacking-related felonies and was released
       from prison in January of 2001. He's still on probation until January
       2003.

       Mitnick's had a ham radio license for about 25 years, and he applied
       two years ago for what's normally a routine renewal. He's not accused
       of making any illicit radio transmissions or any offenses that fall
       under the FCC's jurisdiction -- it's just that official Washington
       firmly believes computer hacking must be an unforgivable venal sin.

       Under FCC regulations, Mitnick's loss of his license is probable, but
       not automatic. A hearing will be scheduled at some to-be-determined
       date before an FCC administrative law judge (who, no surprise,
       typically sides with the bureaucrats). Appeals go to the full
       commission and from there to the federal courts.

       "It's just another example of them trying to harass me," Mitnick said
       Friday evening. "Now I've got to spend money to keep a ham license.
       How ridiculous."

       [...]