FC: Politech readers reply to Univ of NC student-professor flap

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 22:55:52 PST

    Univ of NC student's father replies to Politech: "abusive and libelous"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02961.html

    *********

    Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 16:00:39 -0500
    From: "Robin (Roblimo) Miller" <robinat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    CC: politechat_private, fireat_private, leutzejat_private,
             whitehat_private, cavanaughat_private, adamsmat_private,
             editorat_private
    Subject: Univ of NC student's father replies to Politech: "abusive
    and  libelous"

    Let me get this straight:

    1) University student sends out fairly typical "ultra-liberal line"
    broadcast email about U.S. mideast policy, Bush's election, support of
    Israel, and so on to a bunch of people at the University she attends.

    2) Conservative professor responds negatively to student's email, forwards
    it along with his response to yet more people.

    3) More email on both sides and from third parties: Flamefest!

    4) Student's daddy sues mean old professor.

    Have I got it right so far?

    If so, then I ought to sue thousands of people who have attacked me in
    widely-distributed emails or on public online message boards; who don't
    like my choice of operating systems; who believe I write poorly and
    shouldn't hold the job I do; who feel that what I write is "biased" in one
    direction or another (the direction in which I am allegedly biased
    depending heavily on the individual reader's perception, of course.); or
    just don't like me, and feel that calling me a moron is the height of wit.

    You can argue that I am a bit of a "public figure" so that I must accept
    these attacks as part of life. And I do accept them -- and I have many more
    "fans" than detractors, so the negative people don't bother me. If you
    state any kind of strong opinion in front of a heterogeneus group of
    people, some of them are going to disagree with you, whether that group is
    composed of millions of Internet users or several dozen students and
    faculty members at a single University.

    The only difference between Rosa Fuller and me that I can see is one of
    scale: my opinions get read by more people than hers. But she put her
    opinions out onto the network, just as I do, and must accept the fact that
    whenever she does that, some people are going to react negatively to what
    she says.

    ObDisclaimer: Rosa Fuller and her father, Dennis Fuller, are the most
    wonderful people on earth and everything they say, ever, is true, and
    anyone who disagrees with either of them, in any way, is wrong. (I say this
    because I don't want them to sue me.)

    Speaking solely as an individual, not in my
    capacity as editor of several popular
    news/discussion Web sites,

    - Robin "Roblimo" Miller

    *********