FC: Happy New Year!

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 23:25:39 PST

    I'm back from holidays with family on the east coast and an email-less
    trip to northern Arizona's high desert country. Happy New Year, and
    thanks to Politech readers for your patience, knowledge, intelligence,
    and submissions over the last year.

    Below is the free-market.net newsletter, which I recommend, from Jan 1st.

    Surge of new laws with new year
    ----------
    ABC News/AP
       From elections to health care to gambling regulations, the
       new year brings further evidence that politicians like to
       dictate other people's behavior. (12/31/01)
    http://www.free-market.net/rd/96055655.html

    The new year's media consensus
    ----------
    Reason
    by Sam MacDonald
       Journalists' traditional end-of-year rankings of important
       stories are all focused on the terrorist attacks. But when
       the new year arrives, today's apparent consensus will revert
       to the controversy the chattering class has come to know and
       love. (12/28/01)
    http://www.free-market.net/rd/183842229.html

    New Year's resolutions for policymakers
    ----------
    Carolina Journal/John Locke Foundation
    by Michael L. Walden
       "As the calendar changes years, many of us make New Year's
       resolutions. Although most of them are personal, there's no
       reason why politicians and policymakers can't make resolutions
       about public policies and issues. Here's my list of five
       recommended resolutions for those involved in state and local
       economic policies." (12/19/01)
    http://www.free-market.net/rd/112690587.html

    Looking forward to the new year
    ----------
    Citizens for a Sound Economy
    by Paul Beckner
       "At the end of the year it is normal and customary at CSE
       to look back and discuss whether we made progress towards
       more freedom and liberty or took steps in the wrong direction.
       It is also a time when we try and say 'Thank you' to all of our
       activists, donors and friends and allies." (12/18/01)
    http://www.free-market.net/rd/47080314.html

    Tough times predicted for civil liberties
    ----------
    Wired
       In an interview, the ACLU's Barry Steinhardt looks back over
       the past year and says, "[w]e are now in a grave period for
       civil liberties." He sees little chance for real improvement
       in the months ahead. (12/31/01)
    http://www.free-market.net/rd/79574546.html

    Space race for 2002
    ----------
    Tech Central Station
    by James Pinkerton
       "It's an irony of history that when the Russians were Reds,
       they saw space as an expression of communist destiny. Now,
       post-Soviet, the same Russians see space as an opportunity
       for capitalist profitability. And yet at the same time, the
       capitalist Americans have been resistant to any such private-
       sectoring of human space travel." (12/31/01)
    http://www.free-market.net/rd/227266282.html

    ---

    Also:

    Airport national guardsman shoots self in hip, rear:
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2002/01/02/state2123EST0135.DTL