FC: UCLA's Mark Kleiman on military tribunals, political tactics

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 09:12:19 PST

    [This has been forwarded around a bit. Mark Kleiman teaches public
    policy at UCLA (http://www.sppsr.ucla.edu/faculty/kleiman.htm) and was
    the Director of Policy and Management Analysis for the Criminal
    Division at the DOJ. --Declan]

    ---

       From: "Kleiman, Mark" <kleimanat_private>
       Subject: Military tribunals
       Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001

       Friends:

       Several  of  you, noticing my silence so far on the military tribunals
       issue,

       have  written  wondering whether I was sick or had merely gone soft on
       Bush.

       In  fact,  I  was  waiting  to  have  dinner  with  my old friend Ruth
       Wedgewood, now

       of  Yale  Law  School  and SAIS, who's an expert on the law of war and
       other

       relevant topics.  However, the dinner, scheduled for tonight, has been
       moved

       back a couple of days.  So here goes.  (Anyway, waiting to write until

       actually knew something would have felt like cheating.)

       So  far,  what  I've  read  seems to have failed to separate two quite
       different

       issues:   the first-order question of how captured al-Qaeda operatives
       and

       allies should be handled (and how precisely to define who counts as an

       operative or ally) and the second-order question of who gets to decide
       that

       first-order  question.   [Since  the  first-order  question  is itself
       largely

       procedural,  having  to  do  with  the constitution of a court and its
       rules of

       evidence  and  standards  of  proof,  we  have one procedural question
       stacked on

       another.]   The  discussion has also largely omitted any consideration
       of the

       various goals to be sought, and the means-ends relationships between

       alternative   procedural  formats on the one hand and the goals on the
       other.

       The  discussion  as  also, I think, entirely missed the whole point of
       the

       exercise  from  the  Administration's viewpoint; once again, the press
       has been

       snookered into cooperating.

       First  things  first:  What are we trying to do?  (1) Win a war, which
       means

       putting  the  opposing  force in a position where it lacks the will or
       the

       means  to  inflict  further  damage  on  us.   (Call that the military
       objective.)

       (2)  Discourage  other individuals from joining al-Qaeda to attack the
       US;

       discourage  other  groups  from  attacking  the  US;  discourage other
       governments

       from helping al-Qaeda or other groups attack the US.  (The deterrent

       objective.)  (3)  Ensure  that  individuals  who have committed crimes
       can't do

       it  again.   (The objective of incapacitation.) (4) Punish individuals
       who

       have  committed  crimes (the retributive objective), to make ourselves
       feel

       good,  to  vindicate the rights of those victimized, or because we owe
       it to

       the criminals.

       [That  last  one  is  according  to  Kant,  who must have been smoking
       something;

       the first one isn't really much of a reason; but the one in the middle
       - the

       state  acting  as  the kin group acts in a society that recognizes the
       feud -

       strikes  me  as  important  and  under-appreciated.  Not punishing the
       criminal

       validates  the  victimization,  which  both  adds insult to injury and
       identifies

       the  victim,  and  similarly  situated  persons,  as people who can be
       injured

       with  impunity.   That's  part  of  the  justification for hate-crimes
       laws.]

       The  law  of  war,  as  I  understand  it, makes a distinction between
       soldiers on

       the  one  hand  and  saboteurs  and spies on the other.  Soldiers, who
       fight in

       uniform  and answer up a chain of command, are entitled if captured to
       be

       held  in  prisoner-of-war  camps  with  various  rights protected.  In
       principle,

       they are being held, not punished.  Spies and saboteurs, who fight

       surreptitiously,  are  liable if caught to be summarily executed, like
       Nathan

       Hale  and  Major  Andre.   (Soldiers  who  fight "unlawfully" -- i.e.,
       commit war

       crimes -- are also subject to punishment; I'm vague on the procedural

       difference  between  the  drumhead court-martial that deals with a spy
       and the

       war-crimes trial of a soldier.)

       Al-Qaeda  has  committed acts of war against the United States, but it
       isn't

       an army; its operatives don't wear uniforms and don't have superiors

       accountable for their actions.  If sneaking into an enemy camp, not in

       uniform, to plant a bomb is an act of sabotage that can be punished

       summarily,  then  I  can't  see why hijacking a plane to fly it into a
       civilian

       building is any different.

       Even  if  it can't be shown that Bin Laden  personally gave the orders
       for

       September  11  or any of the previous outrages, he was undoubtedly the
       leader

       of  the  organization  that carried them out.  Again, it's hard to see
       why he,

       and  the  rest of the al-Qaeda leadership, shouldn't be subject to the
       same

       treatment as their operatives.  If, having captured them, we then take
       him

       out and shoot them, I for one will be in a mood to celebrate.

       The Taliban fighting forces, by contrast, are an army, and the Taliban

       regime  was  a  de facto government, though one we (properly, I think)
       refused

       to recognize.  Allowing al-Qaeda to operate from Afghani territory was
       an

       evil thing to do, and quite plausibly constituted war crime.  (And the
       way

       they   ruled   Afghanistan   arguably   constituted  a  crime  against
       humanity.)  But

       that doesn't seem to me to justify treating Omar, if captured, the way
       we

       would  be justified in treating Bin Laden.  He's more like Milosevich,
       or the

       German and Japanese officials tried after World War II.

       [And we may want to be a little careful about establishing as a legal

       principle  that  a  government  official  who  as  a  matter of policy
       facilitates a

       terrorist  act  can  be  held  criminally responsible; it's not that I
       wouldn't

       personally  like  to  see  Jesse  Helms  executed by the government of
       Angola for

       his  assistance  to  Jonas  Savimbi's  (continuing)  campaign  of mass
       murder, or

       Oliver  North  on  trial  in  Nicaragua for his contribution to Contra
       terrorism,

       but  how  about officials of governments that abetted ANC terrorism in
       South

       Africa?]

       When  it  comes  to Taliban soldiers (whether Afghanistani or foreign)
       captured

       in  the  fighting,  they  would  seem  to be entitled to POW treatment
       unless they

       personally  committed  or  ordered  war  crimes.  After all, we didn't
       treat

       German  or Japanese soldiers in World War II as criminals, even though
       we

       hanged their leaders.  However, according to newspaper accounts, the

       Northern  Alliance  does  not  subscribe  to  this theory, and Taliban
       volunteers

       (as  opposed,  supposedly, to conscripts) and especially foreigners in
       Taliban

       service, are being treated as criminals.

       The  question  of  what to do with the al-Qaeda leadership if we catch
       them is

       made  simpler  by being overseas, in a combat zone, where military law
       is

       obviously  the  relevant  law.   It's  made  more  complicated  by the
       distance

       between  the  acts  of  sabotage  and  the  people  being captured and
       punished for

       it.  The summary nature of the military trial of spy or saboteur is

       justified  by  the  fact  of his being caught more or less red-handed.
       Even if

       we're  prepared  to say - as I think I am - that every cook and driver
       and

       computer technician at al-Qaeda headquarters was part of a bandit gang
       and

       ought  to  hang,  figuring  out  who was actually a member of al-Qaeda
       isn't

       going  to  be  completely straightforward.  (Note that this would mean
       treating

       al-Qaeda membership more severely than we treated SS membership; if we

       wanted  to  make  finer  distinctions of degrees of culpability within
       al-Qaeda,

       that would make the decision-making process even harder.)

       In any case, from an American Constitutional perspective, none of this

       matters  very much.  It's clearly a military issue, and it has nothing
       to do

       with the rights of people who live here, as citizens or otherwise.

       Now take the case of Mr. Moussauoi, or the al-Qaeda operatives who

       apparently  tried  to  hijack  a fifth plane on September 11.  They're
       much more

       like  the  classic  saboteurs  contemplated by the law of war.  So why
       shouldn't

       they get the same drumhead court-martial and the same swift death?

       Arguably, they should:  that's the precedent of the Nazi saboteurs.  A

       military  tribunal  is  likely to punish more swiftly, more certainly,
       and more

       harshly   than  a  civilian  court;  those  differences  might,  in  a
       particular

       case,   serve  military,  deterrent,  incapacitative,  or  retributive
       purposes.

               Those  advantages  (from  the viewpoint of a prosecutor) arise
       from

       virtually every element of a military trial.  Such a trial can admit

       evidence  derived  from  warrantless  wiretaps and other searches, and
       evidence

       derived  from  "extraordinary means of interrogation" (i.e., torture).
       It can

       also  admit secret evidence, and deny the defense the ability to force
       the

       prosecution  to  reveal how that evidence was gathered.  This prevents
       both

       the  revelation  of  information  that  might  serve  an enemy and the
       practice of

       "graymail,"  where  a  defendant uses the threat of such revelation as
       leverage

       in  plea  negotiations.   It  can  admit  hearsay.   It  is staffed by
       military

       officers,  not  civilian  judges  and jurors.  In addition to the fact
       that the

       members  of  such  a court have just been fighting the organization of
       which

       the  defendants  are  members,  they  know  that  their careers can be
       advanced or

       damaged  by the decisions they make. (My favorite howler in the debate
       so far

       is  the  argument  that  having terrorists tried by military courts is
       perfectly

       fair,  because  after all we're willing to have our own soldiers tried
       by the

       very same courts:  as if being tried by one's enemies were exactly the
       same

       as  being  tried  by  one's  comrades-in-arms.) Moreover, the rules of
       military

       justice explicitly allow what is called "command influence," i.e. the

       lobbying  of  the  judges  by  their  superior  officers,  which would
       obviously be

       improper  as  applied  to  civilian  judges  or  jurors.   There's  no
       time-consuming

       jury  selection  process.   And  the  appeals process is truncated (to
       zero,

       according to the Executive Order).

               Now  on  the  assumption  that  all  defendants are guilty and
       deserve the

       maximum  sentence, these are all advantages.  On any other assumption,
       we

       might  want  to  look at them more skeptically.  Some people have been
       heard to

       deny that our President has a subtle sense of humor, but Swift himself

       couldn't have topped the wonderful circularity of saying that these

       procedures  are  fine  for  deciding  whether  to  punish  people  for
       terrorist

       acts, because they will only apply to terrorists.

       Take  the  hearsay  rule, for example.  Assume we have an intelligence
       report

       dated September 9th in which Agent X reports that Informant Y told him
       that

       al-Qaeda member Z told Informant Y that Bin Laden had ordered a major

       operation for September 11th.  As a matter of ordinary reasoning from

       evidence, this is a smoking gun.  As a matter of law, it's utterly

       inadmissible,  even  putting  the  sources-and-methods question aside:
       just one

       more instance in which the rules of evidence embody very faulty

       epistemology.  On  the other hand, the hearsay rule is also what keeps
       out

       mere  unsubstantiated  gossip;  I  once sat in a European courtroom in
       which a

       police intelligence analyst was allowed to testify that information in
       the

       intelligence files (not produced, or further identified) showed the

       defendant to have engaged in a pattern of behavior consistent with

       money-laundering, and on that basis the defendant was duly convicted.

       Again, if we're dealing with "smoking gun" cases, none of this bothers
       me

       very  much.   If someone whose photo was taken at an al-Qaeda training
       camp

       gets caught with a suitcase full of dynamite at an airport security

       checkpoint,  the  risk  of a miscarriage of justice is slight. But the
       sweep of

       the  legal  principles  of  aiding and abetting, and of conspiracy, is
       immense.

       As  long  as  you  and  I  have entered into a common purpose which is
       against the

       law,  I  can  be  held  fully  responsible  for  anything  you  do  in
       furtherance of

       that purpose, whether I agreed to it or not, and whether or not I ever
       did

       anything  at  all,  let  alone  anything  unlawful,  to  further  that
       purpose.  That

       means that lots of people whose connection is much less clear than Mr.

       Moussaoui   may   find   themselves  facing  capital  punishment  with
       diminished

       procedural  rights.   Investigators are not shy about using threats to
       extract

       information  from  witnesses:   threats  of  what  will happen to them
       unless they

       talk, and threats of what will happen to people they care about.  This
       has a

       way of making people remember what they know, and also what they don't
       know.

       Military tribunals will make those threats that much more effective.

               Now  the  terror  phenomenon  genuinely raises questions about
       some

       important  substantive  elements  of  American criminal jurisprudence.
       For

       example,  it  is not a crime to state the opinion that the world would
       be a

       much  better  place  without  John  Smith  in  it,  or that John Smith
       deserves to

       die,  or  that  it's God's will that John Smith should die and whoever
       kills

       him   will  receive  great  reward  in  the  Hereafter,  unless  those
       statements are

       made  in  the  presence  of a mob likely to make an imminent attack on
       Smith or

       are  directed  to  some particular individual or individuals (in which
       cases it

       counts  as "inciting").  So the people who published the fatwa against
       Salman

       Rushdie  weren't  committing  any  crime.   Perhaps  that's  wrong; it
       certainly

       makes me uncomfortable.  On the other hand, a law making it a crime to

       assert  that  any particular law should be broken would clearly go too
       far.

       There's  a  mullah  in  New  Jersey  (I can't recall his name) who for
       several

       years  has been preaching jihad against the United States.  A civilian
       court

       probably  couldn't  be  convinced  that  he's  a co-conspirator in the
       September

       11  horrors  without  some  direct nexus, but perhaps a military court
       could be

       so convinced.  I, for one, would be delighted to have him bumped off,

       legally  or  otherwise,  (assuming, of course, what I don't know, that
       the

       press  reports  about  what he's been saying are accurate).  [I add in
       haste

       that  I  urge  none of you to act on that thought.]  But the notion of
       making

       that substantive change in criminal law through a procedural back door
       makes

       me  very,  very  nervous.   On the other hand, the front-door approach
       could be

       even  worse:  there  has  already been a serious Congressional move to
       make it a

       crime  to  distribute information intended to facilitate the violation
       of the

       drug laws, which arguably would criminalize telling heroin addicts how

       avoid   getting   AIDS  by  using  clean  needles.   An  advantage  of
       instituting

       military  tribunals  restricted to accused terrorists is that it would
       cabin

       off  changes  that might otherwise spread to the whole of our criminal
       law.

       Now the Executive Order setting up the tribunals would seem to exclude
       the

       case  of  the  New  Jersey  mullah,  because  the person involved is a
       permanent

       resident.   A  fortiori,  it wouldn't apply to citizens.  But who says
       so?

       Just  the  President.   If  he  has the power, by decree, to authorize
       aliens in

       the  United  States  to be tried before military tribunals today, what
       keeps

       him, or his successor, from changing that decree next year to include

       permanent residents, and the year after to include citizens?  Does the
       name

       "Theramenes" ring a bell?

               [No, I guess it doesn't.  (Classicists please skip to the next

       paragraph.)  The  story  is  originally  in  Xenophon,  and  is retold
       beautifully

       in  Mary  Renault's  Last  of the Wine.  When the oligarchs took power
       from the

       democrats  in Athens during the Peloponnesian War, a council of thirty
       (known

       to   its   enemies,  and  to  history,  as  the  Thirty  Tyrants)  was
       established.  One

       of  its more moderate members was Theramenes, who was widely respected
       even

       by the democratic party.  Theramenes supported the restriction of the

       franchise  to  a  list  of  three  thousand  men.  He also agreed to a
       proposal of

       Critias,  the  hard-line  leader,  that  the  right  of  trial  by the
       assembly,

       formerly  guaranteed to all Athenian citizens, should be restricted to
       that

       same  list.   Eventually,  Critias  went  too  far  in  repressing the
       democrats,

       and Theramenes objected.  Critias then had him arrested in a council

       meeting.   When  Theramenes  demanded a trial by the Assembly, Critias
       ... but

       you've  guessed  it by now ...crossed his name off the list of voters,
       and had

       him executed forthwith.]

               So I'm not very concerned about trying al-Qaeda folks before

       military tribunals, but the notion of doing so by decree strikes me as
       an

       extremely bad idea.

       Moreover, it isn't necessary if the goal is simply to take captured

       terrorists out of circulation.  As Ruth Wedgewood has pointed out, any

       captured  enemy  warrior, even a lawful one, can be held without trial
       as a

       prisoner  of  war until the war is over.  (Which in this case might be
       the

       Twelfth  of  Never.)  A  tribunal  adds  only  two  things to that:  a
       determination

       of  guilt, so that the person can be treated as a criminal rather than

       soldier  (but  unlawful  warriors  aren't  entitled to POW protections
       anyway)

       and the possibility of execution.  Retribution can wait.  So the

       justification for holding trials now before military tribunals, rather
       than

       holding  prisoners  until al-Qaeda is no longer a fighting force, must
       depend

       on  the  value  of  quick  executions to deterrence or to the military
       objective

       of breaking the will of the enemy.  To have a military court sentence

       someone  to  prison  whom  we  could have held as a prisoner without a
       trial

       seems pointless.

               But that, I think, is the real point here.  The purpose of the

       executive  order  wasn't  to  actually have military trials; note that
       Zacharias

       Moussaoui  is  to be tried in a civilian court.  Its purpose, which it
       has

       beautifully  served, is to start a debate about military tribunals, as
       a way

       of  making Democrats, liberals, and academics, who stubbornly insisted
       on

       supporting  the  Administration's  anti-Qaeda  policies,  take a stand
       against

       them,  thus  allowing  the  Bush  team  to  question their patriotism.
       That's why

       the  order  was  so  sloppily drafted that even its supporters have to
       defend it

       for  what  it  should  have  said  rather  than what it says (e.g., by
       arguing that

       the provision decreeing that there shall be no appeal from the verdict
       of

       the  tribunals doesn't mean it).  That's why there was no consultation
       on

       Capitol Hill; and of course Sen. Leahy immediately fell into the trap,

       making a Constitutionally quite reasonable complaint about not being

       consulted  which  the  Bushies  immediately  spun  as  personal  pique
       interfering

       with  national  security.   And  that's  why  John  Ashcroft made that
       McCarthyite

       speech   about  how  anyone  who  criticized  the  Administration  was
       supporting

       terrorism.   The  Washington  Post  promptly  spanked  Ashcroft  in an
       editorial,

       which of course he didn't mind at all.  The Post pointed out that this

       wasn't an outburst, but part of a prepared text, and therefore must be
       taken

       to  represent  Ashcroft's considered views.  The Post didn't point out
       that

       all  such  testimony must be cleared by the White House.  The voice is
       the

       voice of Ashcroft, but the hands are the hands of Karl Rove.

               Let's  not  forget,  this stuff worked for the Republicans all
       during

       the Cold War.  It won't be nearly as easy or as successful this time,

       because  the  factual  basis is so utterly absent.  It was in fact the
       case

       that liberals were somewhat more likely than conservatives to see some
       good

       in  leftist regimes and movements that were also friendly with the bad
       guys,

       and  considerable  evil in rightist regimes and movements that were on
       our

       side  against  the  Bear.   But aside from Noam Chomsky and others who
       have

       simply  let  their  anti-Americanism become a habit, there's no one on
       the left

       who  really  has  much  in  the  way  of sympathy for al-Qaeda, and no
       important

       Democratic  politician  who  has any at all.  In opposing al-Qaeda, we
       really

       have  overwhelming  national  unity,  with  no partisan or ideological
       division.

       That's  why  it  was  so  clever  of  the  Bushies  to invent military
       tribunals as a

       wedge  issue to drive the civil libertarians back into opposition.  It
       won't

       work well.  But it will work some.

               There!  I haven't gone soft after all.  Aren't you relieved?