FC: Followup to Kevin Mitnick and Justice Department hoax stats

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 21:05:17 PST

    Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 01:33:38 -0800
    From: Todd Jonz <toddat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Re: The Justice Department's hoax "domestic terrorism" statistics

    Declan,

    The St. Petersburg Times editorial you posted regarding the Justice
    Department's "cooked" domestic terrorism statistics reminded me of
    another recent thread about the FCC considering whether to deny the
    renewal of convicted cracker Kevin Mitnick's amateur radio license.

    I worked at Sun Microsystems during Mitnick's cracking days and had
    casual contact with some of the folks charged with investigating
    Mitnick's intrusions at Sun, from which he downloaded the source
    code for an unreleased version of the Solaris operating system.  After
    Mitnick had been arrested, federal authorities were very interested
    in the value of the software that Mitnick had "stolen", and urged
    Sun to value it at the full R&D cost (which, if I recall correctly,
    was in the neighborhood of $80 million according to published reports.)

    To the best of my knowledge, all Mitnick did was download the source
    code.  Apart from a bruised ega, I find it difficult to believe that
    Sun had suffered any real loss.  In fact, not long after this incident
    Sun began making Solaris source code availble to selected customers
    for next to nothing, which blows any theory that Sun had lost any
    proprietary secrets to Mitnick.  Can the ludicrous valuation of this
    code be interpreted as anything other than an attempt to paint Mitnick
    as a far more pernicious cyber-criminal than he actually was?

    Now that Mitnick has, as they say, paid his debt to society, found
    gainful employment as a journalist and consultant, and kept his nose
    clean since his release from prison, I can't help but view the FCC's
    desire to revoke his ham license as an attempt to perpetuate his
    poster boy image as a warning to others.

    Is it any wonder that more and more people have taken to examining
    "facts" that come out of the Beltway with a jaundiced eye?  And just
    for the record, no, I do not in any way condone Mitnick's activities;
    it's just that I'd prefer see my tax dollars spent in pursuit of
    dangerous criminals rather than on creating the *appearance* of
    dangerous criminals.

    --
    Todd Jonz				When cryptography is outlawed,
    toddat_private				bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.