FC: ZeoSync offers improbable claim of compression breakthrough

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 22:39:39 PST

    Like many other computer science students, I once wrote my own Huffman
    compression algorithm in C for a programming class. We figured out pretty
    quickly how lossless algorithms work (the type, used in .ZIP files, that
    allow you to reconstruct the exact compressed file), and we also learned
    that there are theoretical limits to compression. Physics has its laws of
    thermodynamics, and computer science has its own fundamental principles.
    This alleged discovery by ZeoSync violates them.

    Unfortunately ZeoSync's marketingprflackdroids have made an implausible
    situation worse, even laughable, by larding up the press release with
    nonsense buzzwords and "TM" statements that convey nothing save confusion.
    That makes it impossible to evaluate their claims. See the press release:
    http://www.zeosync.com/flash/pressrelease.htm

    And an unusually intelligent Slashdot discussion (it's quite good, even
    with all the inside CS jokes):
    http://slashdot.org/science/02/01/08/137246.shtml

    There's even a FAQ on the topic, which recounts the sad history of
    hucksters trying to pass off vaporcompressionware as reality (the
    equivalent of joke crypto's snake oil salesmen):
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/compression-faq/part1/section-8.html
    >  It is mathematically impossible to create a program compressing without loss
    >*all* files by at least one bit (see below and also item 73 in part 2 of this
    >FAQ). Yet from time to time some people claim to have invented a new algorithm
    >for doing so.

    Compare and contrast ZeoSync's assertions to these claims, almost as
    stunning but sober, peer-reviewed, and infintely more credible:
    http://www.nature.com/nsu/020107/020107-2.html