FC: ALA replies to Politech, says filtering survey is imperfect

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 21:04:02 PST

    "About 43 percent of public libraries filter Internet, survey says"

    Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:24:41 -0600
    From: "Deborah Caldwell-Stone" <dstoneat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: About 43 percent of public libraries filter Internet,
    survey says

    Declan,

    Library Journal was careful to note its sampling numbers and
    methodology in its article.  Mr. Burt's excerpt failed to include this
    information.

    Your readers should know that the Library Journal's survey is based on
    the responses of 355 libraries who volunteered to respond to a
    questionnaire mailed to a sample of 2000 libraries - a response rate of
    18%.  Thus, the "43% of libraries" reported to be filtering  actually
    represents 152 of 355 libraries.   To put these numbers in context,
    there are 15,994 public libraries (including branches) in the United
    States.

    Cordially,

    Deborah Caldwell-Stone
    Deputy Director