FC: FCC belatedly rules that "The Real Slim Shady" is not indecent

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 13:52:13 PST

    FCC's ruling:
    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-02-23A1.pdf

    Prudish FCC commissioner Michael Copps' shouldn't-let-the-bastards-off
    public statement:
    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-218953A1.txt

    Copps' attempts to outlaw the televised Victoria's Secret fashion show:

       FCC Reversal: Eminem Not Obscene
       By Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
       2:00 a.m. Jan. 12, 2002 PST

       WASHINGTON -- Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady" has passed the
       nose-wrinkle test of the U.S. government's broadcast censors.

       This week the FCC decided that it would not punish a Pueblo, Colorado,
       radio station for airing a bleeped-out version of the wildly popular
       hit from "The Marshall Mathers LP."

       "We conclude that (KKMG-FM) did not violate the applicable statute or
       our indecency rule, and that no sanction is warranted," the FCC said
       in a five-page ruling (PDF).

       The fuss started back in July 2000, when a prudish KKMG-FM listener
       complained to the FCC that even the lyrics on the edited song were
       "indecent." (Excerpt from one version: "Will Smith don't gotta cuss in
       his raps to sell his records/ well I do, so fuck him and fuck you
       too!/ You think I give a damn about a Grammy?")

       After 11 months of painstaking analysis and repeated listens to "The
       Real Slim Shady" in the commission's Washington headquarters,
       officials in the FCC's Enforcement Bureau decided that the song was
       indecent, that KKMG-FM needed to be taught a lesson and that a fine of
       $7,000 seemed just about right.

       Since the Supreme Court ruled in the 1978 Pacifica case that the First
       Amendment's guarantee of free speech has nothing to do with
       broadcasting, the FCC has the power to ban smutty talk from 6 a.m. to
       10 p.m. Federal law says anyone who "utters any obscene, indecent or
       profane language by means of radio communication shall be fined under
       this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

       After careful perusal, the FCC decided two passages were "indecent."
       They included: "My bum is on your lips/ And if I'm lucky you might
       just give it a little kiss," and "When I'm 30 I'll be the only person
       in the nursing home flirting/ Pinching nurses' asses when I'm BLEEP or
       jerkin'"

       In its response, KKMG-FM argued that that the passage wasn't actually
       "jerkin'" -- a direct reference to masturbation -- but "Jergens," a
       more subtle reference to an alternative use of Jergens' Ultra Healing
       Lotion.

       [...remainder snipped...]