FC: Antitrust enthusiast group sues over MS-DOJ settlement

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 14:00:29 PST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:52:33 -0500
    From: BFoerat_private
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: American Antitrust Institute sues U.S.,
         Microsoft re Tunney Act disclosures

    The American Antitrust Institute has filed a suit for declaratory and
    injunctive relief for failure of the Department of Justice and Microsoft
    to fully comply with the disclosure requirements of the Tunney Act in
    regard to the Microsoft settlement. The suit was filed this morning
    (Thursday) and was assigned to the same judge who is handling the
    Microsoft case.This is now posted, along with a press release summarizing
    the complaint, at www.antitrustinstitute.org.

    We have also posted our 47-page comments on the Microsoft settlement under
    the Tunney Act.

    Recently we posted information about two new Advisory Board members,
    Patricia Connors and Douglas Rosenthal. Trish is the antitrust chief in
    Florida and head of the NAAG Multistate Antitrust Task Force. Doug is
    former head of the Foreign Commerce Section of the DOJ and a partner in
    Sonnenschein, Naff, and Rosenthal. It is worth reiterating that Advisory
    Board members do not vote on substantive positions of the AAI. The
    Advisory Board is quite diverse in makeup and there is no implication that
    all members agree with positions AAI takes. In many situations, an
    Advisory Member recuses himself or herself from the informal consultation
    process that typically occurs.

    Bert Foer
    American Antitrust Institute