FC: Responses to a defense of Comcast's recording of web traffic

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 10:28:53 PST

    Many Politechnicals wrote in to condemn Comcast and to take issue with my
    defense of them. One common complaint was that Comcast is violating the
    law. Even well-known privacy advocates who should have known better raised
    this claim.

    It is an untrue allegation. In response to a request I made this morning,
    Comcast sent me their terms of service agreement, which explicitly
    anticipates and permits the kind of data collection Comcast was doing until
    earlier this week. I've put it here:

    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/comcast.policy.021402.txt
    >5. COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION ON SUBSCRIBER USE
    >Collection of Information: Comcast collects, uses and releases
    >information on Customer use of the Service as necessary to render the
    >Service, to otherwise undertake legitimate business activities related to
    >the Service and to comply with law. Comcast may collect information in
    >accordance with applicable law concerning Customer's use of the Service and
    >customer preferences which are reflected in the choices that a customer
    >makes among the range of services offered as part of the Service, the time
    >that the customer actually uses the Service, the menus and features used
    >most often by the Customer, and other information about a customer's
    >"electronic browsing."

    Federal law says that cable providers may record information with "the
    prior written or electronic consent of the subscriber concerned" -- which
    Comcast did by conditioning delivery of its service on agreement to this
    subscriber policy.

    Rep. Ed Markey (D), a privacy fundamentalist who really should have done
    his homework, claimed that Comcast may have violated federal law. A quick
    glance at Comcast's terms of service would have shown Markey that he was
    mistaken -- but he seems to have been more interested in getting his name
    in print than doing any research. What's also disturbing is that none of
    the news reports I have seen acknowledges that every Comcast user (assuming
    they read the contract) agreed to this monitoring and therefore Comcast
    violated no laws.

    Some responses, below, say that Comcast has a monopoly and therefore should
    (apparently) be strictly regulated by the government. But that's a little
    much to swallow. Your privacy relationship with companies is essentially an
    economic one: You weigh the costs of providing them with your data against
    the benefits of cheaper service or coupons or whatnot. Supermarket discount
    cards are a classic example of a few dollars off in exchange for your data
    (personally, I refuse to use them).

    But even if Comcast is the only cable-modem provider in your area, you
    still have alternatives. If you value your privacy so highly you refuse to
    use their service, you can try dialup, DSL, ISDN, or satellite services
    such as StarBand and Tachyon. You can do more web-surfing at work. You can
    sign up for Comcast anyway and do your web browsing through an anonymizing
    service. And so on.

    Personally, I wouldn't sign up for Comcast if my web browsing activities
    were recorded, but I recognize that this is my personal preference. Others
    may be glad to do it in exchange for a cheaper monthly bill, and still
    others may not care at all.

    As far as I can tell, this outcry can be summarized thusly: Comcast was
    doing exactly what it said it would do, and exactly what customers agreed
    it could do. Therefore everyone's outraged!