FC: Blizzard game company uses DMCA to shut down Bnetd emulator app

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 08:52:35 PST

    Details on Bnetd emulator software:
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/bnetd/

    Text of the DMCA:

    DMCA trial and appeal photos:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/dmca-appeals-arguments.html
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/dvd-2600-trial.html

    Slashdot thread:
    http://slashdot.org/articles/02/02/21/0136256.shtml?tid=127

    ---

    http://www.bnetd.org/

    February 19, 2002

    Internet Gateway Inc.
    tjungat_private <mailto:tjungat_private>
    nocat_private <mailto:nocat_private>
    hostmasterat_private <mailto:hostmasterat_private>

    Dear Sir or Madam:
    This letter is to notify you, pursuant to the provisions of the Digital
    Millennium Copyright Act, that we believe one of your customers is
    infringing Blizzard Entertainment's, a division of Vivendi Universal Games,
    Inc. ("VUG"), copyrighted materials. Specifically, Blizzard Entertainment is
    the owner of the copyright for the computer games Diablo(r) II and StarCraft(r)
    and the multi-player server software run by Blizzard Entertainment on its
    Battle.net(r) site.  The following site hosts and/or distributes software that
    violates Blizzard Entertainment's copyright:
    http://www.bnetd.org/ <http://www.bnetd.org/>
    The aforementioned site either hosts or distributes software which illegally
    modifies and/or alters Blizzard Entertainment copyrighted software or
    bypasses anti-circumvention technology, thereby infringing upon Blizzard
    Entertainment copyrights. Accordingly, Blizzard Entertainment demands that
    you act expeditiously to remove, or disable access to, the web page listed
    above in order for you to claim a safe harbor under the DMCA from liability
    for contributory and vicarious copyright infringement.  Please immediately
    delete or disable access to this web page and remove its contents from view.
    Should you have any questions, please contact the undersigned at
    piracyat_private <mailto:piracyat_private> or 949-955-1380 extension
    1616.
    I have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained
    of is not authorized by Blizzard Entertainment, VUG, its agents or the law,
    and that the information in this notice is accurate. I declare under penalty
    of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that I am
    authorized to act on behalf of all of the aforementioned entities.

    Sincerely,
    Rod Rigole
    Corporate Counsel