FC: U.K. plans to track all drivers with GPS, charge fees; DNA data

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 23:14:47 PST

    Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:18:26 -0500
    From: Simon Spero <sesat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: [For FC]: Sky spy could make drivers pay

    UK transport Czar  wants to track every motorist with gps black box.  The
    stated reason is to implement congestion pricing, and if you believe that,
    there's I've got a steel company in Romania I'd like to sell you.

    The story doesn't give any technical details, but I can only thing of one
    legititmate way of implementing road pricing like this- tamper-proof black
    box calculating charges in real time and recording only the total charge,
    not the location. Reason why this is a bad idea: no such thing as tamper-proof.

    Simon

    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020224/80/csvob.html
    Sky spy could make drivers pay

    By Mike Peacock

    LONDON (Reuters) - Motorists could be charged for using busy roads with
    satellites monitoring their every move under plans to be announced by the
    government's "transport czar" on Monday.

    The proposals by Professor David Begg, chairman of the government-sponsored
    Commission for Integrated Transport, will include plans to fit cars with a
    black box which would be tracked by global positioning satellites (GPS).
    [....]

    ---