FC: FTC and European Union privacy czars expose personal data

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 10:14:43 PST

    [Obviously the FTC has little choice in this matter. But it seems to
    that America's chief privacy enforcers could be a wee bit more
    sensitive to the dangers of collecting personal information -- after
    all, they insist that private firms are. For instance, the FTC could
    put a notice at the top of a sign-in sheet saying: "Warning: This
    information may be made public." Or it could have a policy of
    collecting only the minimal information that it needs. And so
    on. --Declan]

       [...]

       FTC snoops: The agency responsible for protecting privacy is being
       forced to do exactly the opposite.

       On Friday, the Federal Trade Commission sent e-mail to everyone who
       attended its "Get Noticed" privacy workshop last December, telling
       them their personal information was about to become public.

       [...]

       EU glitch: Across the Atlantic, the European Union's "Working Group on
       Data Protection" has a far more innovative way to reveal personal
       information.

       On Friday, the EU's Eva Salger-Kuhn accidentally sent e-mail to
       everyone in the working group's database -- on one long "To:" line.
       This is, remember, the European bureaucracy charged with creating and
       enforcing safe data-use practices.

       [...]

    ---