FC: Sen. Burns blasts ICANN as "flawed, ineffective," wants hearings

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 15:43:24 PST

    Politech archive on ICANN:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=icann

    and

    "ICANN CEO proposes radical changes, more government involvement"

       March 6, 2002

       The Honorable Ernest F. Hollings
       Chairman Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
       125 Russell Senate Building
       Washington, DC 20510-0001

       Dear Mr. Chairman:

       I am writing to formally request an oversight hearing regarding the
       Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

       Given the recent stunning admission by ICANN President Stuart Lynn
       that the organization has been mired in endless debates and missed
       deadlines, this hearing is extremely timely. In fact, Lynn went so far
       as to recommend comprehensive structural reform of ICANN, given that
       it is "losing sight of effectiveness in accomplishing our real
       mission."

       In the wake of such statements, I strongly believe it is time we
       re-visit the issue and find some solutions to the serious problems
       facing ICANN and the future of Internet governance. While ICANN is
       currently a fundamentally flawed and ineffective governing entity,
       proper oversight by the Committee could help redirect it back to its
       core mission of ensuring the stable and secure management of the
       Internet domain system. Obviously, more fundamental questions also
       need to be addressed, such as whether ICANN is even the most
       appropriate organization to be tasked with such a critical mission,
       which is central to our national security.

       Thank you for your consideration and your leadership as Chairman of
       the Senate Commerce Committee.

       Sincerely,

       Conrad Burns
       United States Senator