FC: Peekabooty vaporware already raises alarums at network providers

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 09:38:19 PST

    Politech archive on Peekabooty:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=peekabooty

    Well, maybe "vaporware" is a touch too strong. But wasn't it supposed to be
    released last summer?

    From: "Steven C. Williams" <stevewilat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Cc: <doranat_private>
    Subject: choking peek-a-booty
    Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:36:54 -0800

    hi, Declan and Doran:

    Ominous note sent to http://peek-a-booty.org about how encrypted browser
    might be stifled
    from distribution:

    quoted from http://www.peek-a-booty.org/pbhtml/article.php?sid=16

    "The software hasn't even been released and yet its already setting off bells.
    It seems that a nameless backbone provider for our host is worried that we
    might run
    Peekabooty clandestinely somewhere we're not supposed to...

    "We recently received this very pleasant email from addr.com, our host:"

     >Per the request of our backbone provider we have taken a look at your
    site and it is
    within our Acceptable User Policy and have informed them.
    However, please understand that the software itself, if run on our servers
    would be
    against our Acceptable User Policy.

    Best Regards,
    John C. ........
    System Administrator
    administratorat_private
    Addr.com Support

    "So, for the record: we promise that we will not to run Peekabooty on your
    servers."

    There will undoubtedly be more salvos thrown before this one is over...

    best,

      steve
    Steven C. Williams, PhD
    stevewilat_private