FC: House committee asks for views on digital copyright, 4/8 deadline

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 21:16:39 PST

    See also:

    "U.S. House not willing to endorse mandatory copy protection"

    Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:57:01 -0500
    From: Seth Johnson <seth.johnsonat_private>
    Subject: Legislative Initiative on Digital Music Online

    (Forwarded from the New Yorkers for Fair Use list,
    fairuseat_private  Deadline for comments is April 8.  --
    Seth)

    March 11, 2002

    To all parties interested in the application of copyright
    law to the digital environment:

    The growth of the Internet has raised complex and
    controversial issues over the application of copyright law
    to the digital environment. Examination of these issues is
    increasingly important in light of growing digital music
    piracy, expanding public demand for online music services
    and the willingness and ability of many entities to meet
    that demand.

    The Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual
    Property has held a series of oversight hearings on digital
    music issues, culminating in a December 2001 hearing on the
    recommendations made by the U.S. Copyright Office in the
    Digital Millennium Copyright Act Section 104 Report.
    Legislation (H.R. 2724) addressing online music issues has
    also been introduced in the House of Representatives.

    Given the topical nature of this subject matter, we are
    initiating a process to review relevant digital music issues
    and related proposals to amend the Copyright Act that have
    been brought or will be brought to our attention.

    All interested parties are encouraged to submit written
    views on the merits of relevant digital music issues and
    related proposed amendments to the Copyright Act.  The
    Subcommittee deadline for receipt of comments is 5:00 p.m.
    on April 8, 2002.   The merits of the proposals will be
    evaluated in light of the views received and input from
    other Members of the Subcommittee, with the goal of
    discerning whether consensus exists on meaningful solutions
    to address identifiable harms.  Subsequently, at a date and
    time to be determined, we will schedule a general meeting
    with all interested parties to share our findings.

    We thank you in advance for your participation in this
    process.  We believe it will produce valuable discourse on
    these very important issues and hope it will result in
    meaningful solutions to some of the problems and
    controversies surrounding the application of copyright law
    to the digital environment.

    Interested Copyright Parties
    March __, 2002
    PAGE TWO

    Sincerely,

    F. JAMES SENSENBRENNER, JR.  JOHN CONYERS, JR.
    Chairman                     Ranking Member
    Committee on the Judiciary   Committee on the Judiciary

    HOWARD COBLE                 HOWARD L. BERMAN
    Chairman                     Ranking Member
    Subcommittee on Courts, the  Subcommittee on Courts, the
    Internet, and Intellectual   Internet, and Intellectual
    Property                     Property

    CHRIS CANNON  	             RICK BOUCHER
    Member of Congress           Member of Congress

    FJS, jr./dr/af