FC: Former Virginia guv Gilmore waxes libertarian on nat'l id cards

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 22:29:37 PST

    From: Anonymous User <anonymousat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Congress' chief anti-terror cop opposes national ID card
    Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 03:04:36 +0000 (UTC)

     >From Fox News, available online at:

    Gilmore Opposes Extreme Anti-Terror Laws
    Tuesday, March 26, 2002
    Kelley Beaucar Vlahos

    WASHINGTON - Cyber-policy guru and Congress' chief anti-terror cop said
    Tuesday he fully expects another terrorist attack on the homeland, but
    added he opposes knee-jerk security measures that do little real good
    while infringing greatly on civil liberties.

    Former Virginia Gov. James Gilmore, now the head of a congressionally
    appointed anti-terror commission, told an audience at the Johns Hopkins
    University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Md., that a national
    ID card would be "too creepy for me."

    We cannot, Gilmore said, "let the terrorists redefine our society for
    us."

    Gilmore's post was created by Congress in 1999 but became much more
    critical after the Sept. 11 attacks in New York and Washington.

    "It (Sept. 11) created an environment of change in American society and
    culture," he said. "A change for the worse."

    Gilmore said intelligence gathered by law enforcement authorities
    indicates that terrorists are attempting to develop programs that
    infiltrate and disable U.S. computer systems.

    [...]