FC: Censorhappy Wash. politicos meet the law of unintended consequences

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 06:30:13 PST

    "Washington state goes censorhappy, bans publishing police info"

    Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 07:18:18 -0500
    To: declanat_private, politechat_private
    From: Duncan Frissell <frissellat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Washington state goes censorhappy, bans publishing police info

    At 12:28 AM 3/29/02 -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
    >BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
    >     {+ NEW SECTION. +}  Sec. 1.  A person or organization shall not,with
    > the intent to harm or intimidate, sell, trade, give, publish,distribute,
    > or otherwise release the residential address, residential telephone
    > number, birthdate, or social security number of any law
    > enforcement-related, corrections officer-related, or court-related
    > employee or volunteer, or someone with a similar name, and categorize
    > them as such, without the express written permission of the employee or
    > volunteer unless specifically exempted by law or court order.

    I guess that means that the law enforcers of Washington State will no
    longer be able to have credit records at the big three credit reporting
    agencies since much of that information is obtained and transferred without
    permission.

    For example, the credit agencies include the results of public records
    searches (real estate filings, court actions, etc.) in credit records.  It
    will now be a crime to disseminate that info.  Hard for the credit agencies
    to distinguish between all the data that was included with permission and
    that which was not. Easier just to cancel the credit records of the
    protected groups.

    DCF