FC: Public Citizen defends embattled jerryfalwell.com humor site

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 20:02:41 PST

    I like the first graf of Public Citizen's response:
    http://www.citizen.org/documents/FalwellBrief.pdf
    >"In this proceeding, Jerry Falwell, a notoriously humorless right-wing
    >preacher, is trying to shut down a non-commercial Internet site that makes
    >fun of him for blaming the September 11 bombing of American landmarks on
    >the supposed moral decline of America, and quotes the Bible at Falwell in
    >exactly the same way that Falwell likes to quote it at other people..."

    Previous Politech message:

    "Jerry Falwell demands to own jerryfalwell.com parody site"

    Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:59:16 -0500
    From: "Paul Levy" <PLEVYat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Response to Falwell effort to bully critic off the web

    Today we filed with WIPO in Geneva a response to Jerry Falwell's UDRP
    complaint against Gary Cohn, trying to divest him of the jerryfalwell.com
    name that Cohn uses for a site that parodies Falwell for his hateful words
    last September, blaming the September 11 bombing on America's
    sins.  Falwell complains that the mere fact that Cohn calls his web site a
    parody doesn't make it funny, and that Cohn is misusing Falwell's name to
    create a site that will, supposedly, lure Internet viewers to learn of
    Cohn's "false teaching" about the bible.  We remind the arbitrators that
    they do not have to decide wither whether the site is funny or whether
    Falwell or Cohn has the more accurate view of the bible, because
    Falwell  does not meet any of the three requirements for a valid UDP
    complaint.  In this regard, we argue that Falwell has not established that
    he has used his name as a trademark, that it is perfectly legitimate to use
    of his name because that domain name accurately describes the content of a
    non-commercial web site that makes fun of him, and that there is no sign of
    bad faith.

    Our press release is posted at
    http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=1070
    The response is posted at http://www.citizen.org/documents/FalwellBrief.pdf
    We can supply copies of Falwell's complaint, and of the exhibits to our
    response, on request

    Paul Alan Levy
    Public Citizen Litigation Group
    1600 - 20th Street, N.W.