FC: DMCA means sex sites must not mention celeb names, AdultCheck says

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 23:36:40 PDT

    See previous Politech message:

    "AdultCheck orders sex-themed sites not to mention 'Britney Spears'"

    Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 00:32:51 -0700
    From: "Dau'd X Mohammed" <webmasterat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: DMCA for adults

    Hullo Declan,

    For your amusement and info

    wa-salaam

    dxm

    ********

    Adult Check <dmcaat_private>
    Subject: Re: DMCA / ROP Policy Update

    Dear Adult Check Webmasters,

    As you may have seen, we recently revamped our Digital
    Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and Rights of Publicity
    (ROP) policy section to provide an automated way for
    copyright holders to notice us of infringement on sites
    participating in the Adult Check system.  We have also
    further articulated the penalties associated with you and
    your sites receiving such notices.

    http://www.adultcheck.com/legal/

    http://www.adultcheck.com/cgi-bin/sites/policy.htm

    No site in the Adult Check system is allowed to use any
    names on the "banned names" list.  This also includes any
    photographs from magazines such as Perfect 10.  Next week
    we will announce a cash bounty to be paid to any Webmaster
    who reports a site using any names on the banned names list
    or content licensed to Perfect 10.  The bounty will only be
    paid if the Webmaster is found not to have a license for
    the content.

    http://www.adultcheck.com/cgi-bin/sites/banned_names_public.txt

    Any site found to be using unlicensed photos belonging to
    Perfect 10 will have ALL OF THEIR SITES SHUT DOWN
    permanently.  This is a zero tolerance policy with no
    equivocations or exceptions.

    Sincerely,

    Timothy F. Umbreit
    COO and General Counsel