FC: More on UK firms can't police personal email during office hours

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 06:53:49 PDT

    Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 01:12:10 +0000
    From: Jeremy Barker <jeremy.barkerat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    CC: CBeckat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: UK firms can't police personal email at work during
    officehours

    There's a fundamental difference between what employers want to do (look at
    the contents of e-mail their employees are sending and receiving)
    and what the government wants to do (record nothing more than the to and
    from addresses of e-mail and the time it was sent or received).

    Unfortunately a lot of people, perhaps deliberately, have misunderstood the
    government's monitoring proposals which talk about "traffic data".
    "Traffic data" is legally defined as data showing the origin and
    destination of e-mail but people have been reading it as if it meant "data
    within traffic" - which is legally termed "content" and can only be
    monitored with special authorisation.

    Regards,

    Jeremy Barker (employment lawyer)

    ---