FC: U.S. senator plans to make secret videotaping a federal crime

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 10:49:20 PDT

    [Clearly state legislators cannot be trusted to recognize the dread menace
    of surreptitious videotaping and take appropriate measures themselves.
    Naturally existing laws, such as trespass and harassment are entirely
    insufficient to address this clear and present danger, as a multitude of
    court cases has shown us. Of course encouraging the FBI to spend more time
    prosecuting voyeurs and less time investigating terrorists is a wise idea.
    --Declan]

    ---

    http://www.senate.gov/~landrieu/releases/02/2002417521.html

        FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
        April 16, 2002

               Landrieu: New Bill Makes Video Voyeurism A Federal Crime
                     Louisiana Story Leads To Federal Legislation

        (WASHINGTON DC) Under a new bill introduced today by Senator Mary
        Landrieu(D-La.), secretly videotaping a person in intimate situations
        without their consent would become a federal crime. The bill was
        inspired by a woman in Louisiana who discovered after she was secretly
        taped that there was no law against such an act. Mirrored after
        Louisiana's new law, the Landrieu legislation would make "video
        voyeurism" a crime punishable by up to three years in prison in case
        of adult victims, and up to ten years in prison when a child is
        involved.

        "In the privacy of our own homes, none of us should have to wonder
        whether or not we're being secretly watched-- and even recorded," said
        Senator Landrieu. "Unfortunately, our laws haven't kept up with the
        new technology that makes this kind of invasion of privacy very easy
        to accomplish. This act of "video voyeurism" is not addressed by our
        federal legal system and in most states, it's not even a crime. The
        legislation I am introducing today helps fill this gaping hole in our
        privacy laws, so that if someone is secretly watching you, under this
        bill it will be a crime punishable by law."

        The legislation was unveiled at a press conference where Senator
        Landrieu was joined by Monroe, Louisiana activist Susan Wilson, whose
        story inspired the bill, Actor Angie Harmon, who played Susan in the
        Lifetime Original Movie "Video Voyeur," and two New Orleans natives,
        Executive Producer Blue Andre, and Mary Dixon, Lifetime's Vice
        President of Public Affairs.

        "I'm so grateful to Senator Landrieu and Lifetime Television for their
        commitment to this issue," said Susan Wilson. "This bill will help
        provide victims and their families with much-needed protection and
        ensure some accountability for those who violate the privacy of
        others."

        "Susan Wilson had to learn the hard way that a high-tech invasion of
        privacy wasn't against the law in Louisiana-- or any other state,"
        said Senator Landrieu. "She's fought to make changes in Louisiana's
        laws so that victims in Louisiana can pursue a legal remedy. But there
        shouldn't have to be a Susan Wilson in every state in order for people
        to be protected from this kind of horrifying event. I hope this
        legislation will act as a deterrent-- but if it doesn't, at least
        victims will have the strength of federal law behind them."

        The new bill, entitled the "Family Privacy and Protection Act," would
        create two new federal crimes of video voyeurism, one dealing with
        adults and one dealing with minors. Under the bill, any person who
        uses a camera or similar recording device to record another individual
        either for a lewd or lascivious purpose without that person's consent
        is in violation of the law. The penalty for violation is a fine and/or
        imprisonment of up to three years, or ten years in the case of a
        minor.

        In addition, the bill would set up an Internet domain (such as .prn)
        for material harmful to minors and requires all websites containing
        such material to register on that domain name. Any websites currently
        on other domains (such as .com, .org, etc.) would be required to close
        down those sites and move to the new domain.