FC: "Golden Dot Awards" to be handed out at net-politics conf 5/20

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 08:27:24 PDT

    [I've been asked to moderate one of the panels at this year's Politics
    Online conference. It's titled "Panic Room" and starts at 3 pm on May 20.
    --Declan]

    ---

    Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:04:32 -0400
    From: davidand <davidandat_private>
    Subject: request
    To: declanat_private

    Declan,

    Hope things are good with you.  It's been a while since you spoke at one of
    our public testimony sessions.  I was wondering if you could do me a small
    favor.  I am organizing the Golden Dot Awards at our Politics Online
    Conference Monday, May 20th here at George Washington University.  Would you
    be so kind as to send the announcement which is cut and pasted below out on
    your listserv?  I would really appreciate it.

    Thanks very much.

    Dave Anderson
    Task Force Director
    Democracy Online Project

                                 CALL FOR NOMINATIONS

                           THE 2002 GOLDEN DOT AWARDS

    On May 20, 2002 the Democracy Online Project of The George Washington
    University's Graduate School of Political Management will award "Golden Dot
    Awards for Civic Excellence in Online Issue Advocacy."  The purpose of the
    awards is to showcase individuals and groups that have advanced the field of
    online politics.

    Awards will be presented in five categories:  Innovation, Interactivity,
    Message, Public Support and Transparency.  In addition, a Grand Prize will
    be awarded to a finalist in one of the preceding five categories whose
    campaign demonstrated overall, and/or exceptional, issue advocacy excellence
    between January 1, 2000 and April 30, 2002.

    The Golden Dot Awards have been presented annually for the last four years,
    alternating each year between political campaign campaigns and issue
    advocacy campaigns.  Past winners in this year's category--issue
    advocacy--include The National Environmental Trust's Hotearth.net,
    IowaGOP.org, Heritage Forests Campaign and MoveOn.org.

    The judging panel, consisting of academics, journalists, civic activists and
    members of the Golden Dot Award committee are inviting nominations from, or
    on behalf of, any individual or organization meeting the eligibility
    requirements. Nominations can be made directly from the site:

             http://www.gspm.org/politicsonline/goldendot2000.htm

    Award finalists will be informed in advance so that they will be
    prepared to speak for approximately five (5) minutes at the Golden Dot Award
    Ceremony at the Eighth Annual Politics Online Conference, May 20, 2002.

    Further information can be found on the Golden Dot Award web site at

             http://www.gspm.org/politicsonline/goldendot2000.

    The sponsor of the awards, Democracy Online Project is a research, education
    and advocacy initiative that was established in 1998 to improve campaigns
    through the use of the Internet.  Funded by a grant from The Pew Charitable
    Trusts, the Democracy Online Project documents and analyzes the evolving use
    of the Internet in politics; develops and advocates best practices in online
    campaign conduct; identifies and promotes awareness of critical public
    policy choices regarding the Internet, politics and democracy; and serves as
    an informational resource for candidates, political professionals and
    activists, journalists, scholars and citizens.  More information on the
    Democracy Online Project is available at:

             http://www.democracyonline.org/

    The Golden Dot Awards ceremony will be during the 2002 Politics Online
    Conference on May 20, 2002 at The George Washington University, 805 21st
    Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20052

    More information on conference is available at:

             http://www.gspm.org/politicsonline

    Dr. David M. Anderson
    Task Force Director
    Democracy Online Project