FC: Council of Europe and perils of "balancing" anonymity, free speech

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 22:04:32 PDT

    HTML version:
    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/coe.anonymity.042302.html
    RTF version:
    http://www.humanrights.coe.int/media/documents/Draftdeclaration.rtf

    The Council of Europe is considering a "draft declaration on freedom of
    communication on the Internet." (Comments should be sent to mediaat_private
    by May 1.) It has many excellent parts, for which the council deserves
    praise. But let's focus on the problems for the moment.

    While recognizing "freedom of expression," the council talks about
    "balancing" it -- usually a codeword for restrictions on speech that
    someone, somewhere may find to be objectionable. The council says anonymity
    is important but must be -- again, that word -- "balanced" with "the need
    for law enforcement authorities to trace the authors of criminal deeds."

    Those are the same "balancing" arguments we heard about key escrow a few
    years ago.

    Some excerpts: