FC: Sen. Orrin Hatch vows a second try at "morphed" kiddie porn law

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 15:39:59 PDT

Politech archive on "morphed" child porn law:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=morphed

Text of Supreme Court decision:
http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/00-795.ZS.html

---

http://hatch.senate.gov/pressapp/record.cfm?id=182317

                       Press Release of Senator Hatch

    HATCH STATEMENT ON SUPREME COURT'S DECISION REGARDING VIRTUAL CHILD
                                PORNOGRAPHY

   Contact: Margarita Tapia, 202.224.5225
   Tuesday, April 16, 2002

   Washington - Sen. Orrin G. Hatch today issued the following statement
   regarding the Supreme Court's decision in Ashcroft v. Free Speech
   Coalition in response to numerous media inquiries: "I am obviously
   disappointed, but respect the Court's pronouncement in the Ashcroft v.
   Free Speech Coalition case," stated Hatch. "Child pornography and the
   exploitation of children continue to be serious problems in our
   country and abroad. I am committed to using every effort to curtail,
   and hopefully stop, the sexual exploitation of children. I was proud
   of drafting the legislation, seeing President Clinton sign it into
   law, and will be studying the Court's opinion to see exactly how we
   can craft new legislation to punish the sexual exploitation of
   children consistent with the Court's decision."

   Senator Hatch sponsored the Child Pornography Prevention Act that
   amended federal child pornography statutes to establish a definition
   of child pornography to include any visual depiction, such as a
   photograph, film, videotape or computer image, that is produced by any
   means, including electronically by computer, of sexually explicit
   conduct to be classified as child pornography if: its production
   involved the use of a minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct; or
   it depicts, or appears to depict, a minor engaging in sexually
   explicit conduct; or it is promoted or advertised as depicting a minor
   engaging in sexually explicit conduct.