FC: Photos from NRC porn-kids-Internet report briefing today

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 15:07:37 PDT

    Photos from today's NRC press briefing:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/nrc-pornography-report-may02.html

    The report itself:
    http://www.nap.edu/books/0309082749/html/

    And Rep. Rick Boucher speaking over lunch at a different event:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/rick-boucher-may02.html

        Porn Panel Plays It Safe
        By Declan McCullagh

        7:08 a.m. May 2, 2002 PDT
        WASHINGTON -- A government-commissioned report titled "Youth,
        Pornography, and the Internet" could have been a near-hysterical
        condemnation of technology and a cry for intrusive new laws.

        Instead, a 14-chapter report published Thursday by the National
        Research Council takes a sober look at the legal, technological and
        social means that parents and teachers can use to shield children and
        teenagers from virtual smut.

        The NRC group, comprised mostly of academics, lawyers and researchers,
        spent most of its time analyzing the situation instead of making
        recommendations, concluding that "there is no single or simple answer
        to controlling the access of minors to inappropriate material on the
        Web."

        "In what seems like an easy no-brainer issue -- we don't want our
        children exposed to pornography -- we found considerable complexity in
        the sacrifices made to the individual freedoms and rights of our
        citizens in order to enforce such a policy on the Internet," said
        Sandra Calvert, the director of the Children's Digital Media Center at
        Georgetown University and a member of the NRC committee.

        [...]