FC: Replies to Dick Armey, speeding, and photo radar helping safety

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 21:47:00 PDT

    "Rep. Dick Armey on photo radar: It doesn't make driving safer"

    Subject: Re: FC: Rep. Dick Armey on photo radar: It doesn't make driving
             safer
    From: Steve Withers <swithersat_private>
    To: declanat_private

    On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 15:03, Declan McCullagh wrote:
     > Previous Politech message:
     >
     > "Rep. Armey questions Interior Department photo radar system"
     > http://www.politechbot.com/p-01998.html

    New Zealand has had photo radar for years and it DOES slow drivers
    down...and that does save lives.

    In slowing them down, it gives them more time to respond to risk
    situations (other drivers falling asleep at the wheel, etc...)

    In slowing them down it means if they DO hit each other, injuries are
    less severe and fatalities fewer in number.

    In slowing them down it means they are exposed to less risk from their
    own driving in marginal weather conditions.

    The law says if you go over the speed limit, you're up for a fine. No one who
    obeys the law can have any fear from speed cameras.

    --
    Regards,

    Steve Withers
    swithersat_private